Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athosworld

My relay hums when powered with 6vAC, is this normal?
My dc motor kinda works in AC but it only vibrates.
Why does that 6vAC sparks more than dc?

WHAT YOU ARE CONNECTING WHERE is really unclear. Please explain exactly what you are doing.

Nothing like a simple drawing. Schematic?

This abnormal behavior is expected when you mismatch AC for a Dc motor

Most relays have a DC and AC rating for the contacts. The coil rating is normally part of the model number.

Mike.
Agreed, part no or link would help.

Do you know that a DC motor draws 10 x more current when it is not spinning? but not as much with AC perhaps 5x or more. Most likely that excessive harmonic load is causing your relay to hum using the same supply to power the coil and motor. Why are you doing these wrong connections?

Something to consider. The below image is of an AC coil solenoid. It could just as easily been a relay coil. The coil is 24 VAC 60 Hz 10 Watts ot at least that is what it was. The removed solenoid was 24 VDC and replaced with this one. My understanding is that it worked real good for about 10 min. :)

Cooked Coil.png

This was part of my little pile of dead parts I used when explaining to technicians what not to do and always pay attention to detail and work from the drawings and parts listings. This is what can happen when a 24 VAC coil is used in a 24 VDC application.

Ron

Something to consider. The below image is of an AC coil solenoid. It could just as easily been a relay coil. The coil is 24 VAC 60 Hz 10 Watts ot at least that is what it was. The removed solenoid was 24 VDC and replaced with this one. My understanding is that it worked real good for about 10 min. :)

View attachment 139535

This was part of my little pile of dead parts I used when explaining to technicians what not to do and always pay attention to detail and work from the drawings and parts listings. This is what can happen when a 24 VAC coil is used in a 24 VDC application.

Ron
Nice picture, and an excellent example :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back