Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question-

Status
Not open for further replies.
A low frequency like 1MHz for an AM radio bounces off the ionosphere so it goes pretty far around the world.
Higher frequencies like 100MHz for an FM radio go straight without bouncing and the curve of the earth prevents a far range.

thanks Uncle $crooge.
has it not got anything do with skin effect or attenuation/noise in the signal?
please explain

The frequency also determines if the RF signal follows the curvature of the earth or travels at a line of sight.

The higher the frequency the more straight the waves move. (Compare FM radio with medium wave radio.)

Boncuk

No.
Just the frequency determines if the signal bounces off the ionosphere or not.
what if we don't associate it with ionosphere and then relate frequency and range of signal???????
because i hav read somewhere that higher the frequency, higher is the noise/attenuation and skin effect factors and thus reducing the range of signal.
please tell me in detail.

why range of a signal decreases with increase in frequency?

First, if you are talking about radio wave propagation I would suggest that you read this link and then go ahead and read this link.

You will find those links explain in detail exactly what Audio Guru and Boncuk have already told you. It is exactly as they explained.

what if we don't associate it with ionosphere and then relate frequency and range of signal???????
because i hav read somewhere that higher the frequency, higher is the noise/attenuation and skin effect factors and thus reducing the range of signal.
please tell me in detail.

When you mention frequency and range of signal you have to associate it first with the ionosphere. Then you can worry about other forces that can effect wave propagation. The links also cover those in detail.

I hope that helps.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back