Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question regarding fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

furyfax

I have for some time been using fibers from Avagotech. I have been using the HFBR-RTD45DZ and the 10meter version.
Recently I needed longer fibers, 15meters, but Avagotech only sell 4.5m or 10m with connectors already attached. Therefore I had to order 100m fibers and cut into the desirable length and connect the connectors myself.
I did this and followed the procedure when cutting and polish the fiber and attaching the connectors (HFBR 5041-6564 I believe the connectors are called). I am at the moment experiencing some communication problems, I believe that the cutting of fiber and connecting of connectors is not satisfactory done and therefore I am experiencing problems.
Therefore I am wondering if it is possible get a hold of 15meter lengths of fiber with the connectors already attached by a company, in that way I am sure that the connectors are attached satisfactory.
Anyone know of a company which can accomodate this request? I would like to continue to use the products from Avagotech.

Last edited:
Fiber Termination

Hi

I used to terminate fibers for l job and without professional equipment they can be almost impossible to make. My suggestion would be to contact a local computer network engineer or telephone company (you may have to try a few) and they would be able to make a cable for you to any length that you require. You may also try a supplier like **broken link removed** who supply 'patch leads' with a variety of terminations and in lengths up-to 20M. Please let me know if I can be of any more help.

Rupert

PS I just noticed that the fiber you are using is not true 'glass fiber' which would have a spec such as 50/125 so before you buy anything check with the data-sheet for your Tx/Rx modules and see what specs you require. Glass fiber will by nature give you longer cable runs in the region of 100M+ if used correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back