Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on oscillator circuit schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

okbro

hello,
I have the following oscillator circuit which is supposed to be Hartley VFO(variable frequency oscillator). In this circuit there are three capacitors C2,C3 and C4 each 47pF which are in parallel. Can we replace these three capacitor with single capacitor? or is there any advantage of using them in parallel? Also what could be the values for capacitor C8 and C9?

oscillator.jpg

thank you

The capacitors should ideally be low or zero temperature coefficient types, to minimise frequency drift with temperature changes.

If the designer used ceramic "NP0" (zero coefficient) caps, they are easier to obtain in lower values.
(The highest value NP0 I have in my collection is 100pF, thought that does not mean higher values are unobtainable).

I'd use a 0.1uF ceramic for C9; C8 depends on what the output load is - ideally another buffer stage, or something that has a low and unchanging load, as variations will affect the osc frequency.

C7 is not particularly critical, something from 100pF to 1nF or more should work it's only DC isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back