Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question in Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineers feel

hello guys

This is my question

Find three consecutive odd integers such that 3 times their sum is 5 more than 8 times the middle one

Homework, eh?

First you write down what you know, ie the question in form of math notation:

For integers, a,b and c, where a<b<c, and (a+1) = mod 2, (b+1) = mod2, (c+1) = mod2. Solve for a,b,c, when 3(a+b+c) = 5 + 8b.

Alternatively, if you read the question, you're not meant to calculate the answer, just find a,b,c so that the statement is true. For example, is it true for a=1, b=2, c=3?

OutToLunch said:
you're kidding, right?

this the level of math at your college?

hello guy

what's up man?

I haven't told you that the question is from my book

I've written it for enjoying

that's all
I hope to understand me

see ya

johankj said:
Homework, eh?

First you write down what you know, ie the question in form of math notation:

For integers, a,b and c, where a<b<c, and (a+1) = mod 2, (b+1) = mod2, (c+1) = mod2. Solve for a,b,c, when 3(a+b+c) = 5 + 8b.

Alternatively, if you read the question, you're not meant to calculate the answer, just find a,b,c so that the statement is true. For example, is it true for a=1, b=2, c=3?

good for you

you're all right
but in my opinion if you take a look at the question you'll see that
three odd intergers

thanks again

engineers feel said:
good for you

you're all right
but in my opinion if you take a look at the question you'll see that
three odd intergers

thanks again

Whops, my bad. The maths statement still holds ( x + 1 = mod 2, gives x an odd number). a, b, and c for values 1, 3, and 5, respectively.

I saw that the statement is true for a=3, b=5, c=7. But that was before I realised it the statement is 3(a+b+c)=8b-5, and not 3(a+b+c)=8b+5...

It is too easy to be a engineering collage level problem. As a rule I get such things wrong so let me give it a try.:) If I am wrong I am sure there will be no shortage of people with the right answer.

Find three consecutive odd integers such that 3 times their sum is 5 more than 8 times the middle one

The queston asks for three consecutive odd integers,
I would thake this to be numbers like
x, x+2, x+4 where x is odd.

(3 * (X + (x+2) + (x+4) ) ) -5 = ((X + 2) * 8)
3x + 3x + 6 + 3x + 12 = 8x + 16 + 5
x + 18 = 21
x = 3

check
3 * (3 + (3 +2) + (3+4) ) = ((3 + 2) * 8) + 5
3 * (3 + (5) + (7) ) = ((5) * 8) + 5
3 * (15 ) = (40) + 5
45 = 45

so the numbers are 3, 5, and 7

johankj said:
That is correct, apart from it is 3(a+b+c)+5=8b not 3(a+b+c)=8b+5.
no, 3(a+b+c)=8b+5 is correct.

the problem stated that 3 times the sum is 5 more than 8b.

3(a+b+c)+5=8b
would translate into 8b is 5 more than 3 times the sum.

no, 3(a+b+c)=8b+5 is correct.

the problem stated that 3 times the sum is 5 more than 8b.

3(a+b+c)+5=8b
would translate into 8b is 5 more than 3 times the sum.

Ah. Right you are..:D

As always I complicate things, congruent modulo was not the way to go. (However, I conjecture that it would give you all solutions to the problem if they exist...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back