Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question battery storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recommended to store Li-Po or Li-ion smartphone batteries for the long term with a charge between 3.75v and 3.80v, today I measured the voltage of the BM20 and BP-5L batteries and they are with 3.74v at this voltage. do I need to recharge again to 3.80v?

A storage charge and a sales charge on a lithium battery is 3.7V to 3.8V. How old are the batteries in stores?
Some people say that the voltage on a Lithium battery drops with age. Less than about 3V will shorten its life.
But I have the battery from my daughter's first cell phone that is about 23 or 24 years old and it still measures 3.75V.

my batteries is new buy aliexpress xiaomi bm20 nokia bp5l

3,74 is danger for battery?

it's been 2 or 3 months since I charged them to 3.8v and today it's 3.74v is necessary recharger?

Battery university.com talks about battery self-discharge. They say that poor fabrication practices and a protection circuit increase the problem.
Are the batteries you bought from China real or are they counterfeit fakes?

Battery University says, "A quality manufacturer checks the self-discharge of each cell and rejects those that fall outside tolerances." Then I say AliExpress gets and sells the rejects.

3,74 is danger for battery?

it's been 2 or 3 months since I charged them to 3.8v and today it's 3.74v is necessary recharger?
No and no.

You don't need to check them more than once a year, as long as they are not installed in anything.

[Another one to lock?]

BM20 and BP-5L batteries are not installed in any device they are stored but checking 1x per year is it safe or can the battery drop dangerous charge before 1 year?

It depends on the quality of the battery. You bought your battery from China so you must guess about its quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back