Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about simple curcuit from a new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoDuke

Hi,
I have a tiny project for a Halloween costume. I bought a lighted rocker switch from radio shack that I only want to light up. I don't want it to do anything else. I have it wired to a standard 9volt battery, but when connect it, the battery gets very hot. The switch has three prongs on it, power, load, and ground. How can I make this simple prop work, without the danger of the battery exploding? Here is the link to the switch. RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Component parts: Switches: Lighted SPST Rocker Switch
Thanks,
Larry

Hi,
I have a tiny project for a Halloween costume. I bought a lighted rocker switch from radio shack that I only want to light up. I don't want it to do anything else. I have it wired to a standard 9volt battery, but when connect it, the battery gets very hot. The switch has three prongs on it, power, load, and ground. How can I make this simple prop work, without the danger of the battery exploding? Here is the link to the switch. RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Component parts: Switches: Lighted SPST Rocker Switch
Thanks,
Larry
I tried to find out more information at the Radio Shack website, but couldn't.
It may not light up, or if it does it may be dim as it is rated a 12V. If you connect the -battery terminal to ground terminal of the switch and the + lead to power terminal, and leave the load terminal disconnected. When the switch is pushed to on it should lite up but be real dim.
It has been my experience that the internal light is connected to the load and ground. So when the power is switched on the light comming on indicates that power is applied to the load.

Last edited:
Do you have a load connected to your switch? If so, how much? The dimming would most certainly be because the bulb is rated for 12V with 9v applied. Your bulb may also be putting a heavy load on your little 9V battery as well. This switch is made for medium size loads with 30A max and the bulb is probably speced proportionately as well. There's no way to increase the brightness w/o increasing the voltage. You may want to find a switch that has a smaller bulb.

Hi,

connect the switch according to the sketch. Even without a load connected (as already posted) the light should go on when the switch is on.

Try 6V first and increase to 12 if there is no light.

connecting the battery you have probably shorted it.

Another possibility: The switch is made for AC-loads and the built in light is a neon type lamp with a current limiting resistor attached to it. In that case you might use the device as normal switch for low voltage DC-loads with no light indication.

It looks pretty much like a power switch for a water boiler.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SWITCH.gif
    SWITCH.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I had the load connected. When I went pos to power and neg to ground it worked out fine. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back