Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about a CD4011 Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexlan

I would like to use this chip but not real sure of the voltages it can handle.

My inputs will be 12V.
I need a 5V output to my PIC.

If I power the chip with 5v can I input 12 v logic signals?

If I power the chip with 12v will the logic output signals be 11.5v?

Also, if I power it with 12v and my logic inputs will be 12v do I need a series resistor in the line for the inputs? Do I need one in the output line to either my PIC or to a small FET if I have to go that way?

Thanks

use a resistor in series and a zener diode shunt to ground to keep the signal to the PIC below 5 volts, or just 2 resistors as a voltage divider network if the current into the PIC is rather small.

OK ... that is what I thought.
Thank you ... I have it now.

hi,
If you have a number of 12V to 5V signals to convert the HEF4050 non inverting buffer is good choice or the HEF4049 if inversion is required.

I only have 3 signals that are 12v and I need to feed those to the PIC. I will probably need to use the transistors.
I wasn't sure if I could power the 4011 with 5v and then input a 12v signal while maintaining a 0-5v output. That would be ideal. My space is so tight now that even adding a simple resistor is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back