Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quesions on making simple "mute button"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGz

First I apologize, these may sound like some dumb questions but any help would be appreciated!!

I have a stereo 3.5mm microphone that I need to make a hardware switch to turn it on and off (or mute it). My initial thought is to just splice a 3.5mm extension cable and attach a rocker switch to it.
I guess my first question is if this would work as simple as that or it need some type of filtering circuit to cut down on "pop" noise from the switch?
Also, I would like to have a switch with an LED so I know when its on and not on quickly/easily and I do have some switches with LEDs built-in. Would this be possible to use with a 9v battery (and probably a resistor)?
And lastly, since it is stereo, how would I connect it to the switch? Assuming it has three connections, would I bypass the switch with the "shield" and attach "tip" and "ring" to the switch?

I greatly appreciate your time and help with this!

Last edited:
The first thing to know: are these mics dynamic or electret (likely electret, if they need power). Than we take it from there. E

A stereo microphone is used by people who have two mouths. Most microphones (and most people) are mono.

I guess my first question is if this would work as simple as that or it need some type of filtering circuit to cut down on "pop" noise from the switch?
We can't answer that question you have to decide if switching noise is acceptable or not, I'd try it and see what you end up with.

Thanks for your responses!

The first thing to know: are these mics dynamic or electret (likely electret, if they need power). Than we take it from there. E
This is dynamic. What it is, is a basic computer headset, it has two 3.5mm TRS connections (one for the mic and for the headphones).

We can't answer that question you have to decide if switching noise is acceptable or not, I'd try it and see what you end up with.
Yep, fair enough! Kinda the answer I was expecting on that one

A stereo microphone is used by people who have two mouths. Most microphones (and most people) are mono.
haha yeah well I would love to meet one of those two mouthed people. I will say not all microphones are made for peoples mouths and stereo microphones are rather common at least amongst the recording world. Though you are right, I definitely should have said it has a TRS connector and not that it was a stereo mic.

Basic computer headsets use electret microphones they're not dynamic, but either way it's irrelevant. You could do it with a single SPDT switch to ground the PC's mic input line to ground for the mute. Ground would be left connected, the third ring on the connector is unused (possibly grounded) Preventing the tic sound would not be simple.

Last edited:
Ah right on, thank you!
Now to play around with it a bit that I know what Im looking for. I didnt think getting rid of the tic would be simple but will just have to see how annoying that is

Thanks again

If you don't want the annoying 'pop' you could use a small thumbwheel-controlled pot instead of a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back