Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quality Control template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless1

Hi All,

Does anybody have a template that you use for quality checking purposes when receiving components from suppliers?

I just received a huge shipment of Micros, and half of the devices on one batch have been rejected by my customer!!! - because of packaging!!!
Now I need to send a report to my supplier stating what they did wrong blah blah blah.

*sigh*

Anyone?

Last edited:
essentially the devices have been rejected because these devices were not on the original trays (QFP packages) as supplied by the manufacturer. As a result the manufacturer is scared that because these devices are moisture and electrostatic sensitive, they are probably now damaged because they were being "handled" incorrectly.
So I have to submit a report back to my supplier stating what went wrong, and why they are at fault.

Oh, I am a distributor of electronic components (but not for long due to market conditions :( )

Last edited:
Has any testing been done on the units in question? If you can't prove there is any actual fault with the chips you received you may not be able to return them to your supplier.

Last edited:
Has any testing been done on the units in question? If you can't prove there is any actual fault with the chips you received you may not be able to return them to your supplier.

Nope no testing at all. I've drawn up a quick template with a description of how the goods arrived in my stores. Some pins on a couple devices were also damaged!!! aaahh!
Essentially I'm just trying to use scare tactics for them to take this back...rats! I forgot to mention to the supplier that I found a PEN MARK on one of the devices....what a day!! :mad:

Well, if you have damaged pins you have a good reason for rejection at least. And since they were out of their original containers the supplier can't say it couldn't have been them. Just keep in mind while you're working on your report that your internal QC inspection should have caught something like that before it got to your customer. Just tell your supplier you'd be glad to keep the chips if they run a full diagnostic on them and return them under approved storage conditions.

So by template you meant a blank document to fill out ? a template can also be some sort of jig or sheet metal with holes drilled in it to check correct hole location.

Frankly yes it was up to you to establish that the goods were poorly packed when you received them so in the first instance you are at fault, and then you need to pass this "blame" onto your supplier although you are responsable to your client as your supplier is responsable to you (your suppliers client)

Last edited:

Not really. Testing is not needed because, proper packing is implied. If the packaging is improper and violates ESD protection standards, then the customer has a claim that due to negligence in shipping the parts are at risk of failure, and does not have to accept them. I am sure proper ESD packaging is standard practice in the industry, and it could be proved in court that a contract breach was made. Some things are implied and do not have to be stated in a contract, for example; If someone orders a set of dishes, the shipper must take due diligence to ship the dishes properly. If no padding was used in the box, the shipper would be liable for damages. Since ESD damage is not visible, then the receiver of the order must assume the parts are damaged since it is not as visible as broken dishes.

As distributor, that means you are middle man no? So manufacturer sends the part to you, and you send them on to customer. So you need some sort of incoming shipment QA people to verify the correct parts are received, correct packaging, ie. smt,dip, put in correct shipping containers, that sort of thing right? Each order that you get would need a master checklist for incoming QA to go by. They would need to verify each item like part number and such and fill out a form, that stays with the shipment until it goes back to shipping. The shipping would then be the final checker on the form. One place I worked for called these travelers.

As distributor, that means you are middle man no? So manufacturer sends the part to you, and you send them on to customer. So you need some sort of incoming shipment QA people to verify the correct parts are received, correct packaging, ie. smt,dip, put in correct shipping containers, that sort of thing right? Each order that you get would need a master checklist for incoming QA to go by. They would need to verify each item like part number and such and fill out a form, that stays with the shipment until it goes back to shipping. The shipping would then be the final checker on the form. One place I worked for called these travelers.

where i work we have a good inwards QC inspector (me) and another inspector (alan) for outgoing goods (checking that they are proporly packed) and deals with returns issues. Although its bit different for us because most of what we received is built into something else before being sold.

essentially the devices have been rejected because these devices were not on the original trays (QFP packages) as supplied by the manufacturer. As a result the manufacturer is scared that because these devices are moisture and electrostatic sensitive, they are probably now damaged because they were being "handled" incorrectly.
So I have to submit a report back to my supplier stating what went wrong, and why they are at fault.

Oh, I am a distributor of electronic components (but not for long due to market conditions :( )

Your customer is absolutely correct. Depending on the MSL level of the device, if those units are exposed to the ambient and then reflow soldered, the package will "popcorn".... a fatal failure.
This is more pronounced with the higher reflow temps of RoHS compliant devices.

Where did you purchase these devices, from a chinese vendor advertising in E-bay? Men, do I have some horror stories. Lots and lots of counterfeit devices.

I'm afraid its up to you to inspect goods when you receive them and ensure they are correctly packed when despatched. photos are very useful as proof

Where did you purchase these devices, from a chinese vendor advertising in E-bay? Men, do I have some horror stories. Lots and lots of counterfeit devices.

From a reliable chinese supplier based in Hong Kong that my company has used in the past...but never for this type of device....and never again!!

Does anybody have any horror stories to share?

As distributor, that means you are middle man no? So manufacturer sends the part to you, and you send them on to customer. So you need some sort of incoming shipment QA people to verify the correct parts are received, correct packaging, ie. smt,dip, put in correct shipping containers, that sort of thing right?

That's correct, I am the middle-man...kinda hate it now, I miss being on the bench.
This company I joined is a new company, so alot of the procedures are non-existant and I find myself implementing alot of the procedures.

I think you have a unique opportunity. You are the heart of the industry. The manufacturers are like the bone marrow but you pump the blood cells through the industry. Be clever, be smart, and you can be successful. Think of all the challenges that greet you, how wonderful it is to work where you feel needed and useful.

Enjoy the puzzles of your work and become the master of your game... In a way I envy you. I would like such a challenge.

Good luck...

I think you have a unique opportunity. You are the heart of the industry. The manufacturers are like the bone marrow but you pump the blood cells through the industry. Be clever, be smart, and you can be successful. Think of all the challenges that greet you, how wonderful it is to work where you feel needed and useful.

Enjoy the puzzles of your work and become the master of your game... In a way I envy you. I would like such a challenge.

Good luck...

Thanks Mike, you just reminded me about how I used to feel when I first got into the sales side of this business. I used to feel like I was a part of something when I used to sit with design engineers at the customer and work with them on designing my product in. Then the joy when it is accepted, and even more happiness when you see the final product with a component you supplied.
I think I just don't find any joy any more because of the South African market being so small; and with the current economic conditions, every Sales Engineer out there is fighting for the same business.

Thanks Mike, you just reminded me about how I used to feel when I first got into the sales side of this business. I used to feel like I was a part of something when I used to sit with design engineers at the customer and work with them on designing my product in. Then the joy when it is accepted, and even more happiness when you see the final product with a component you supplied.
I think I just don't find any joy any more because of the South African market being so small; and with the current economic conditions, every Sales Engineer out there is fighting for the same business.

Maybe your like me, and burned out. Pharma industry is pretty cool...:)

Have you thought of relocating? I know this may be impossible due to circumstances. How is your networking. How about China? Lot's of expats are going there and I hear it works out well.

Last edited:
I seriously do feel burnt out....and I'm only 30 years old!! :eek:

I've considered relocating but my other half has finally found a career in marketing after months of not working, so it would be unfair for me to pack us up and move. I was originally thinking of Canada because I hear the Quality of life there is apparently the best. Got family that immigrated there, and their kids are loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back