Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

QM1323 Multi meter -What is the red light built in used for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the manual:
If AC voltage is present, the
detector light will illuminate.

NOTE
: The conductors in electrical cord sets are often
twisted. For best results, rub the probe tip along a
length of the cord to assure placing the tip in close
proximity to the live conductor.
NOTE
: The detector is designed with high sensitivity.
Static electricity or other sources of energy may
randomly trip the sensor. This is normal operation

Well you have a completely different manual to me . Where and when did you get it . The one that comes with the mm does not mention it . Are you making this up?
From the manual:
If AC voltage is present, the
detector light will illuminate.

NOTE
: The conductors in electrical cord sets are often
twisted. For best results, rub the probe tip along a
length of the cord to assure placing the tip in close
proximity to the live conductor.
NOTE
: The detector is designed with high sensitivity.
Static electricity or other sources of energy may
randomly trip the sensor. This is normal operation

On a similar model QM1551 the red LED is used for non-contact voltage measurement. Page 13 of the manual says that "the detector is designed with high sensitivity. Static electricity or other sources of energy may randomly trip the sensor." Would this include vibration? Maybe some form of piezoelectric effect is involved.

I have a similar meter, and basically the red light illuminates when you put the red probe near a high voltage AC circuit (non touch voltage detection). The light will flash intermittent as it is sensitive to static, etc, and gives the odd false indication - so basically an active "hot" detector - its sort of a warning that your about to fry yourself, of course as with everything high voltage, I wouldn't stake my life on it always working...

........................................ it's hard to believe the light is not shown or labeled
Indeed!
Having said that, it is amazing how much stuff is out there with negligible, incomplete, incorrect or nonsense documentation.
Lurk on any of the electronic forums and these types of questions crop up from time to time.

OOOOPs................I hadn't realized that this is a "Stone-age thread"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back