Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM with 555

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want your batteries to last longer then don't use a 555 timer, use the CMOS 7555.

Here's the circuit I was describing a couple of posts ago. U1 is a quad op-amp like the LM324 you could use a comparator like the LM339 but don't forget the pull-up resistors on the output.

U1A forms a Schmitt trigger oscillator oscillates at around 5 seconds per cycle; the fading rate is determined by R7 and C1.

U1B is exactly the same oscillator configuration as U1A but oscillates at around 250Hz which is the PWM frequency.

U1C acts as a comparator and compares the voltage on C1 and C2 and lights D1 if the voltage on C2 is greater than C1.

Notice how I've used fairly large resistor values? This helps reduce the current consumption and save battery life.

Attachments

• Fading eyes.GIF
    Fading eyes.GIF
    6.1 KB · Views: 186
Why don't you order out a 12 volt Wall Wart, an LM7809 regulator, a couple of 1000 uF electrolytics and a 3.5 mm power receptacle, and build a 9-volt power supply for your experiments.

You could also get an LM7805 with caps, and put it on a seperate board for your TTL digital projects.

Or, forget the five volts for TTL and use only CMOS 4000 series ICs with your 9 volt supply.

You'll windup saving money versus the cost of batteries.

i made one i just need more perf board untill i make another one my old one was crap and did not work well

If you want your batteries to last longer then don't use a 555 timer, use the CMOS 7555.

Here's the circuit I was describing a couple of posts ago. U1 is a quad op-amp like the LM324 you could use a comparator like the LM339 but don't forget the pull-up resistors on the output.

U1A forms a Schmitt trigger oscillator oscillates at around 5 seconds per cycle; the fading rate is determined by R7 and C1.

U1B is exactly the same oscillator configuration as U1A but oscillates at around 250Hz which is the PWM frequency.

U1C acts as a comparator and compares the voltage on C1 and C2 and lights D1 if the voltage on C2 is greater than C1.

Notice how I've used fairly large resistor values? This helps reduce the current consumption and save battery life.

i know about the 7555 its better for lower voltages but i dont need lower voltages i normally use a wallwort with a LM7805 but it bit the dust

That's not true, the 7555 isn't better at lower voltages.

At low voltages the output current is reduced drastically because the output MOSFETs won't pass much current with lower gate voltages.

7555s are just better as far as power consumption is concerned - look at the datasheets and compare how little current the 7555 uses compared to the 555.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back