Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM circuit to drive ignition coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

TACAMO

Hey Electro Tech, I want to build a High Voltage spark generator using an ignition coil. Ive read that using PWM circuit work great for this. So I was looking at this kit,

**broken link removed**

Its a motor speed controller, but could I use this to drive an ignition coil.

Thanks

It would be easier and much cheaper to just build one yourself. All you need is a basic Timer IC like a 555 or something similar to drive a high voltage Mosfet or IGBT switching device.

Generally a PWM motor controller should work.

Consider the high clock frequency when pulsing an ignition coil, which might overheat.

Here is a cheap circuit using the CMOS-version (TLC555) of the NE555.

The PRF (pulse repetition frequency) is fixed at 1 to 1.5 cycles/min with selectable pulse widths of 16.5, 24 and 31ms.

Boncuk

Note: S1 is a double pole three position slide switch for circuit safety reasons. If a single pole switch is used and fails the timer output might constantly go high causing the ignition coil to overheat and "kaputt". Don't omit the fuse for that reason.

Attachments

• E-FENCE.gif
    E-FENCE.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 12,397
Last edited:
Hey Electro Tech, I want to build a High Voltage spark generator using an ignition coil. Ive read that using PWM circuit work great for this. So I was looking at this kit,

**broken link removed**

Its a motor speed controller, but could I use this to drive an ignition coil.

Thanks

Check Out My Circuits.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Take care.....Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back