PWM circuit to drive ignition coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

TACAMO

Hey Electro Tech, I want to build a High Voltage spark generator using an ignition coil. Ive read that using PWM circuit work great for this. So I was looking at this kit,

**broken link removed**

Its a motor speed controller, but could I use this to drive an ignition coil.

Thanks

It would be easier and much cheaper to just build one yourself. All you need is a basic Timer IC like a 555 or something similar to drive a high voltage Mosfet or IGBT switching device.

This has been done on this forum before.

Feed the ignition coil from a lamp dimmer, set to half brightness, via a motor start capacitor.

Generally a PWM motor controller should work.

Consider the high clock frequency when pulsing an ignition coil, which might overheat.

Here is a cheap circuit using the CMOS-version (TLC555) of the NE555.

The PRF (pulse repetition frequency) is fixed at 1 to 1.5 cycles/min with selectable pulse widths of 16.5, 24 and 31ms.

Boncuk

Note: S1 is a double pole three position slide switch for circuit safety reasons. If a single pole switch is used and fails the timer output might constantly go high causing the ignition coil to overheat and "kaputt". Don't omit the fuse for that reason.

Attachments

• E-FENCE.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 12,419
Last edited:

Check Out My Circuits.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Take care.....Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…