Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push/Pull Type Solenoids

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoTang

Another question here.

I'm trying to build a push type solenoid circuit and I don't think I'm doing it right. I have a switch that allows current to pass through the coil to have it create a magnetic field to push its internal plunger. I believe that how it normallys works. But when I press the button, nothing happens. See schematic.

I think I need a transistor or a mosfet. Can someone tell me why I need one of those?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• pic1_475.jpg
    pic1_475.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 618
You don't need anything else, your circuit is fine (providing the switch can handle the current). If it doesn't work, you're probably doing something wrong.

Hey there again! Thanks for all your help.

Well, I set up the circuit like so.. see example. And I would push the button and see there is a current but nothing happens. I triple check my circuit and it all good. It just leads to me thinking that the push type solenoid needs something else. Current is approx 180mA which I know it works because I ripped the solenoid out of another circuit. The only diff is that the other circuit had a HEX MOSFET driving it. So, it just my question to thinking what does that HEX MOSFET do? Beside acts like a switch.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• pic1_628.jpg
    pic1_628.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 711
CoTang said:
Hey there again! Thanks for all your help.

Well, I set up the circuit like so.. see example. And I would push the button and see there is a current but nothing happens. I triple check my circuit and it all good. It just leads to me thinking that the push type solenoid needs something else. Current is approx 180mA which I know it works because I ripped the solenoid out of another circuit. The only diff is that the other circuit had a HEX MOSFET driving it. So, it just my question to thinking what does that HEX MOSFET do? Beside acts like a switch.

Thanks again for your help.

The mosfet versus switch doesnt have anything to do with the magnetics involved. As long as your switch (FET or mech) can provide low enough resistance to allow the desired current flow, then it's fine.

If you know that your do in fact have the expected amount of current flowing through your coil, then maybe this amount is insufficient to push/pull your plunger.

I think I figured it out. My fault. Stupid me, gotta learn to do calculations right. My resistor for the second part was 1 ohms. Battery outputs only 170mA. Gotta increase the resistor values to 56 ohms to prevent it from loading down the battery. :roll:

Ok, after doing some research and thinking about it, I think I got it. I'm trying to switch the push type solenoid as fast as I can push the switch. Now my problem is that it would switch ONE time only and then it takes about 30 secs before the I can switch it again. I think its because it drains the battery and it takes time for the battery to recharge. My thinking is that I need a capacitor for it to have it charged and when the switch it fliped it dumps it into the inductor to cause it to push. I'm not sure it I have it in the circuit correctly. See figure 1.

Also, if anyone can tell me a good book for Learning Circuits Design that would be great. Thanks again!

Attachments

• pic1_373.jpg
    pic1_373.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 561
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back