Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push / Pull solenoid resonator

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spring return may be slow. If you what a faster pull than put a resister in series with the coil. I thought you needed a doide to get a 50% duty cycle? Andy

The spring return may be slow. If you what a faster pull than put a resister in series with the coil. I thought you needed a doide to get a 50% duty cycle? Andy

hi Andy,
Connecting the 555 as shown in the diagram will give a 50/50% cycle

hi Andy,Connecting the 555 as shown in the diagram will give a 50/50% cycle
Thanks for letting me know. I wounder if a 50/50% duty cycle is best for this app now that we know the solenoid is spring return? Andy

Thanks for letting me know. I wounder if a 50/50% duty cycle is best for this app now that we know the solenoid is spring return? Andy

Looks like the spring-return will limit the the operating frequency. The return period will be constant, no matter how fast you try to pulse the solenoid...unless you pulse it so fast that the core never completes a full throw. Spadez never described what (s)he was trying to accomplish with a pulsing solenoid. ????
Ken

Hi,

Sorry I will be a little more clear now, because even at the start of the thread I wasnt 100% clear on what I needed. Im doing a project at university which involves mechanically "decoupling" two pistons from one another. In order to simulate the recriprocating motion I was going to propose a system which used a solenoid, and therefore needed a circuit to drive the solenoid back and forth.

I understand that this isnt a good application for a solenoid, but I want to prove this before I go on to other ideas. A smaller "on" duty would allow me to achive higher frequencies, but im not sure how much more this would complicate the circuit.

Last edited:
I can't visualize what you're trying to do from "mechanically "decoupling" two pistons from one another". But, if you want to continue with the solenoid idea, use two solenoids, back-to-back with their cores connected along the same axis. Pulse one solenoid to push out and the other to pull in. Drive with two square waves 180° out of phase.

Ken

A smaller "on" duty would allow me to achive higher frequencies, but im not sure how much more this would complicate the circuit.
Its just a matter of how you hookup the 555 timer. It looks like you can change it in the sim. The question will be how long does the pulse need to be to drive the solenoid all the way out but you can make that ajustible too.

With the 555 timer you can adjust both the pulse length and the frequency. Andy

Hi,

Sorry I will be a little more clear now, because even at the start of the thread I wasnt 100% clear on what I needed. Im doing a project at university which involves mechanically "decoupling" two pistons from one another. In order to simulate the recriprocating motion I was going to propose a system which used a solenoid, and therefore needed a circuit to drive the solenoid back and forth.

I understand that this isnt a good application for a solenoid, but I want to prove this before I go on to other ideas. A smaller "on" duty would allow me to achive higher frequencies, but im not sure how much more this would complicate the circuit.

hi,
A clip from a circuit that shows how to configure the 555 for pulse width & freq

Attachments

• 000esp03.gif
    000esp03.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 205
Just to double check, is it ok to use the IRL540 mosfet?

Also, using your diagram I have worked out the resistors and caps I need. Is it right that the period will be the same for both on and off cycles? Also is it correct that the output is on pin 3 like I have circled in my attachment?

Hi,

From the quoted diagram, what capacitor goes on pin5?

Also, is the 0V in the green box showing that there is also a ground connection to pin1 (and the branches?)

Thank you.

Hi,

From the quoted diagram, what capacitor goes on pin5?

Also, is the 0V in the green box showing that there is also a ground connection to pin1 (and the branches?)

Thank you.

hi,
A 10nF will be OK on pin5, the 0V is the common connection to the power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back