Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse, Impulse..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hi,

Can somebody tells me what 'pulse' and 'impulse' waves are and mean in electrical circuits?
What about a wave which just have a value at zero point? What do you call it?

A pulse has a finite duration and amplitude, and can be real or mathematical.

A true impulse is a mathematical function only, with a finite amplitude but zero width. Its typical use is to derive the transfer function of a circuit. It can sometimes be approximated in a real circuit with a very short pulse.

My math is a little rusty and my comment about an impulse function really applies to a Unit Impulse Function. One use of this is with Laplace Transforms to generate a transfer function. See https://www.math.ust.hk/~makxu/MATH151/ch06_5.ppt for a short mathematical discussion.

In practice an impulse can be viewed as a pulse applied to a system, which is so much shorter than the system response time, that the system responds as if it where a pulse with zero time but finite energy. (Think of a hammer hitting a bell).

The singularity functions... doublet, impulse, unit step, unit ramp and unit parabola are used in circut analysis to study circuit response to a disturbance. Integrate in one direction and differentiate in the other... i.e. take the derivative of a ramp and you get a step. Take the derivative of a step and you get an impulse (BTW… the integral of an impulse is = 1). Take the derivative of a impulse and you get a doublet. When you integrate, go in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back