Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse ignition of gas water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

saesaria

Dear expert,
I would like to build my own pulse ignition of gas water heater like below.

Pulse ignition of gas water heater.jpg

The circuit inside the module is looks like below

20210323_055928.jpg

Anyone of you know the circuit diagram of this pulse ignition of gas water heater? please share.
And if you know the circuit explanation of how it works, please also share the knowledge with me if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Dear expert,

View attachment 130506

The circuit inside the module is looks like below

View attachment 130507

Anyone of you know the circuit diagram of this pulse ignition of gas water heater? please share.
And if you know the circuit explanation of how it works, please also share the knowledge with me if you don't mind.

Thanks.
There are a lot of square wave driver schematics out there for oscillating the high voltage transformer. If that’s what you want let me know and I can share a few I prefer. As for the exact circuit of that gas ignitor I’m not sure. Might take a little diggin.

There are a lot of square wave driver schematics out there for oscillating the high voltage transformer. If that’s what you want let me know and I can share a few I prefer. As for the exact circuit of that gas ignitor I’m not sure. Might take a little diggin.
Hi,
No problem, let me see the schematics. thanks.

That is not just an "igniter", it also contains all the flame sense, gas control and safety interlocks.

A DIY version that malfunctions could gas people or cause an explosion - it's not something suitable for experimenting with.

I'd strongly recommend you do not use anything other than the proper module.

That is not just an "igniter", it also contains all the flame sense, gas control and safety interlocks.

A DIY version that malfunctions could gas people or cause an explosion - it's not something suitable for experimenting with.

I'd strongly recommend you do not use anything other than the proper module.
Yes, you are right. It also contains the flame presence sensor, gas control and safety valve to shut the gas line when the flame not present at particular time. And yes you also right a DIY of this module can harm people around if got malfunctioned caused by the gas leaks, but actually the safety valve will handle that one, right.

I have a DIY deep fryer which use that module for igniting the flame, the problem is that the ignition module has reliability issue, there always a component burnt inside the module after a couple of months use. The module I currently use is seems not the proper one, probably it is also built from home scale industry, because the fact is there no user manual available came with the module and even there is no brand written in the module. So I assumed that the module is also a DIY from home scale industry. I bought it from local store.

So that's why I asked the expert here if they can share the proper schematic for this module, then I'm going to be able to built the proper one and I would be very appreciated if any.

Last edited:
I'd advise you use a commercial unit for safety. There are plenty around for use in gas heating systems.

eg. The Honeywell units of this style that attach directly to a matching gas valve. There is full documentation available for these.
**broken link removed**

Those include flame sense, ignition and safety interlocks.
Example data:

I'm not prepared to give any information or assistance on DIY gas controls, sorry..

I'd advise you use a commercial unit for safety. There are plenty around for use in gas heating systems.

eg. The Honeywell units of this style that attach directly to a matching gas valve. There is full documentation available for these.
**broken link removed**

Those include flame sense, ignition and safety interlocks.
Example data:

I'm not prepared to give any information or assistance on DIY gas controls, sorry..
Ok thanks, I appreciated that.

I had to learn about that type earlier this winter. I have a overhead gas heater in my work shop, one that is called a infrared heater. It has one of the type of igniters you show. The valve or igniter it's self may not be the problem. Try cleaning the one electrode shown called the, "pin of the sensor" in your first picture. The igniter/sensor uses the pins to both ignite and sense flame, through a process called, "flame rectification". After the sparking to start the flame there is still a voltage on the one "Lighter pin", the other one is a ground for the spark. This continuous voltage is then rectified to keep the gas valve on. If there is any rust, corrosion or carbon build up on the sensor pin it won't work, so before doing any thing else clean the sensor pin with steel wool or a Scotchbite type abrasive pad. That worked for my heater, it is old and new parts aren't available for it so had to learn about them.

I had to learn about that type earlier this winter. I have a overhead gas heater in my work shop, one that is called a infrared heater. It has one of the type of igniters you show. The valve or igniter it's self may not be the problem. Try cleaning the one electrode shown called the, "pin of the sensor" in your first picture. The igniter/sensor uses the pins to both ignite and sense flame, through a process called, "flame rectification". After the sparking to start the flame there is still a voltage on the one "Lighter pin", the other one is a ground for the spark. This continuous voltage is then rectified to keep the gas valve on. If there is any rust, corrosion or carbon build up on the sensor pin it won't work, so before doing any thing else clean the sensor pin with steel wool or a Scotchbite type abrasive pad. That worked for my heater, it is old and new parts aren't available for it so had to learn about them.
Yes, I also had the same experience that the flame once didn't start caused by dirty electrodes. Then everything's back to normal after cleaning. Thanks for your sharing. Appreciated that.

An HVAC professional recommended US paper currency to clean.

The flame sensing technology is usually "flame rectification"
An AC voltage is applied through the sensor, flame and ground. It MUST be of the correct polarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back