Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PTH blockages- normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I got some boards back from commercial mfg. These are the first mfg boards I've dealt with.

The component holes for everything, resistors, sockets, etc are quite tight, to the point where one must be careful not to bend a lead when putting it in.

Some holes have "burrs" in them, I don't know if it's an actual drilling burr underneath it or a protrusion purely from the plating process. The lead wires cannot push it aside, I found a staple leg can get them out of the way.

Is it normal for the holes to be this tight? Are the burrs a common problem? Or is this really poor mfg?

The tight holes are probably a result of the design you sent. Its a good Idea to leave a bit of extra space on your holes (the plating will shrink your hole by a mil or two). I've never seen burs on plate through holes. The two places that i've used produce very smooth holes - PCBExpress and APCircuits.

Brent

I used Eagle PCB to do the layout. The packages are premade in the libraries. Is there a way to increase hole diameter? Changing the libraries is out of the question.

I'm not sure if Eagle has this feature but the package I use has a method to globaly modify hole sizes.

It's possible that the manufacturer did something wrong - it doesn't sound like they make very good boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back