Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PS3 power supply not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladCJ

First off, hello. I'm new to this forum and am quite interested in electronics.

I have a pair of Playstation 3 consoles. One originally mine and the other given to me by a friend who told me to use it for spare parts after it somehow died.

I opened the console, but found nothing burned, no signs of leaking, no burned, blown or damaged electronics (even those little superficial mounting resistors). So, I put it back on and noticed that once powered, the red standby led blinks. I let the PS3 sit there for a few hours, because I was interrupted and forgot to power it down, and when I came back, I found it in working condition. I decided to give it a go and played with it for several hours. Still, once I turned it off (more like going back to standby), the red led began blinking and it didn't stop.

I got even more curious. I know very little of digital electronics, but the hours working properly of that PS3 told me that portion is fine. As for the power supply, I removed it and opened it (thing I didn't initially do). I found nothing wrong. Then, I decided to open my other PS3 and try its power supply on the "sick one". It worked perfectly well, so then the problem is the original source.

Any idea of what it could be? I can upload and link a picture this weekend, since I don't have the PS3s with me at the moment.

Some people think it might be a damaged or defective capacitor, possibly something else. The thing is mostly analogic, so if I knew what was wrong, I could attempt at replacing it instead of buying a new one.

Thay had many problums. Mostly do to over heating. You can fine all kinds of info on the web if you look for it. google is your friend.

First port of call would be to test any electrolytic capacitors with an ESR meter and rule them out. The heat generated in these enclosed supplies tends to dramatically shorten the working life of capacitors.

check for bad soldering, it seem that the bad power supply starts to work when it is hot enough so bad soldering make contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back