Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proximity Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasprouter

Hello all,

I'm looking to build a low power circuit (powered by 9V battery) that will be able to sense objects a few inches to about 10 feet away. I guess my question is if IR leds and receivers will do the trick. If not can you recommend something that will?

Thanks in advance!

Wuestion is also: Will the object you wnat to detect reflect enough light? Is it important that it's exactly 10ft away, or could it be closer?

No. The objects I need to detect are non reflective everyday objects i.e. curbs, people, etc (which probably rules out ir). The 10ft requirement is not set in stone, but it needs to detect no less than 7ft. Accuracy is also not a high concern either, I'd be ok with +/-6".

I've been leaning towards an ultrasonic transceiver system. Does anyone have experience with these type of systems? Can anyone recommend circuits and/or devices that will meet these requirements?

3hrs(ish). Also, It doesn't need to be run off a 9V bat, I've no problems using NiMH rechargeable battery, if higher current demands are required. It just needs to stand alone while in operation and be portable.

Can you do this as a beam-break detector? If so, follow these threads:

If you use the same IR receiver module as I used, you do NOT need to modulate the IR transmitter in on/off bursts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back