Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prototyping with PIC32

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarwind

Hey all,

Microchip's PIC32 microcontrollers only come in 100 pin TQFP .4 mm pitch and 64 pin TQFP .5 mm pitch packages. These are really nice and inexpensive chips to play around with.

My question is, how do I prototype with them?

I bought two of these: https://www.futurlec.com/Pictures/TQFP_100.jpg

They're double sided .4 and .5 mm 100 pin TQFP breakout boards that fit nicely with any of the PIC32 chips.

The holes are DIP sized spacing. My question is, how do I prototype with this? How do I attach it to a breadboard, for example? How do I attach it to a prototyping board like this: https://www.futurlec.com/Pictures/PROTO777.jpg ?

What's the best and quickest way to prototype with this chip?

The 4 headers on the breakout board are 4 2x13 set at right angles.

I think either you have to go to a breadboard where each hole has its own copper donut or etch your own.

So are you saying make my own PCB that has holes identical to the breakout board, then attach the two together using rows of straight-through pin headers?

And I've seen those boards before: https://www.futurlec.com/Pictures/EXPBRD.jpg

Since the holes are not connected to each other in rows of 3, 5 of entire rows, how am I supposed to connect components together?

Get a bigger/stronger board than that, fiberglass (FR4) is best. Buy a bunch of breakaway .100" female headers 3M|929974-01-36-RK|PC Board Connector | Newark.com and use those on the proto PCB.

Next use some Samtec board standoff female headers that have extra long tails, to put on TQFP board **broken link removed** and https://www.samtec.com/ftppub/cpdf/SSQ-MKT.PDF The extra long tails can then go thru the TQFP board, AND also have the length to properly mate with the female headers that have been placed on the proto PCB.

Then buy a JE10 wire jumper kit.

Good luck.

nickelflippr's method sounds good :)

On a protoboard with each hole isolated you need to connect every connection with wire. Wire sold as wire wrap wire is very flexiable and works well for signals and is easy to solder (I am not suggesting you wire wrap). Use heavier wire for power and ground.

Get a bigger/stronger board than that, fiberglass (FR4) is best. Buy a bunch of breakaway .100" female headers 3M|929974-01-36-RK|PC Board Connector | Newark.com and use those on the proto PCB.

Next use some Samtec board standoff female headers that have extra long tails, to put on TQFP board **broken link removed** and https://www.samtec.com/ftppub/cpdf/SSQ-MKT.PDF The extra long tails can then go thru the TQFP board, AND also have the length to properly mate with the female headers that have been placed on the proto PCB.

Good luck.

I see what you mean. So with the female headers with long tails I can stick wires into as well?

I'll go with that and make my own PCB as well. Since it's relatively easy to make a PCB for DIP sizes, this should work well. Thanks!

Good luck.

Is this what you mean?

**broken link removed**

Yes, exactly.

I've tried male headers, and making squid type cables, but nothing seems to beat the simplicity of using 22ga. jumper wire (in my case, it usually is going to a breadboard anyways).

I'm not nearly as brave as you, using a 100 pin TQFP has got to be a pain. While the bare PIC32 prices are attractive, I would likely flake out, and get one these SparkFun Electronics - Development Board for PIC32MX340F512

Yes, exactly.

I've tried male headers, and making squid type cables, but nothing seems to beat the simplicity of using 22ga. jumper wire (in my case, it usually is going to a breadboard anyways).

I'm not nearly as brave as you, using a 100 pin TQFP has got to be a pain. While the bare PIC32 prices are attractive, I would likely flake out, and get one these SparkFun Electronics - Development Board for PIC32MX340F512

I considered that, but don't want to pay $35 for it. If I get this right the first time, it's very inexpensive to replicate my results. I'll try the method in the picture I made. I'll make my own PCB too.

Glade to see this post I have a lot of pic 32 samples but I couldn't find a brakeout board now I know where it get them. Next is soldering them just flux and go come back and clean
with a wick and be good to go.

I considered that, but don't want to pay $35 for it. If I get this right the first time, it's very inexpensive to replicate my results. I'll try the method in the picture I made. I'll make my own PCB too.

Well ya, if it's a more than one and done, then that makes sense.

On the Samtec female headers (or whose else?), the 0.394" tail length seems to be the one. It will give you full engagement in the PCB mounted header, plus the TQFP pcb, plus a solder joint and a little room to spare.

Glade to see this post I have a lot of pic 32 samples but I couldn't find a brakeout board now I know where it get them. Next is soldering them just flux and go come back and clean
with a wick and be good to go.
Do you have a link for the flux/syringe that you use? Could have another go at the drag soldering, then wick, technique. Last time was a disaster on a TSSOP device, with too generously applied flux (no syringe), and the flux aftermath got up under the chip!

Do you have a link for the flux/syringe that you use? Could have another go at the drag soldering, then wick, technique. Last time was a disaster on a TSSOP device, with too generously applied flux (no syringe), and the flux aftermath got up under the chip!

Use a flux pen. It has a marker-like tip and applies just the right amount. Always been a success for me.

Also, watch this video: YouTube - Surface Mount Soldering 101 (surface mount soldering)

I got it at radio shack but thay stop selling it now all thay want to sell is cell phones

Last edited:
I got it at radio shack but thay stop selling it now all thay want to sell is cell phones

LOL! I hear ya!

I hate it when suppliers like these go for consumer electronics. It just makes that store that much more retarded. I never go to places like that anymore. I go to electronics parts surplus stores only now.

I take apart old boards from the plant I worked at thay close it down and I got all the old parts that was there

The local radio shack is now R.I.P., even the cell phones couldn't keep ringing up the sales. No huge loss, kind of liked their small circuit boards and project boxes, other than that tho....

You name it I bet I have it. controller boards h bridge's LCD's micro's old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back