Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protecting PCB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorbzz

Hi guys does anyone have some tricks they would like to share on what they use to protect their PCB's once etched and parts soldered on?
I have a couple of boards here that are starting to corode but I dont know what to do to protect them.
Can you just use clear laquer or what?
Thanks.

You are looking for "conformal coating". My personal preference is silicone conformal coating. There are other materials like acrylic or polyurethane.

Last edited:
After etching and cleaning I spray my boards with a light coat of acrylic. I use is**broken link removed** I have not tried other brands.

**broken link removed**

The light coat of acrylic vaporizes while soldering. Think of it as a solder through coating. The protected copper remains bright. The product exists in colors in addition to clear. I have not tried color yet but it could make for interesting PCB's.

If you want additional protection you can add more acrylic or purpose made conformal coating.

I have painted the top side of single sided PCB's with crylon fusion paint. To date I have only used white. Toner transfer was used to add the silkscreen graphics on the board below. (PulsarProFX paper) Top coat with sparVar to protect toner.

magicpopulated-jpg.19918

3v0

EDIT: The solder thru trick does not work with fry pan SMD. I will be getting liquid silver as suggested by mister_e.

The only thing i am worried about is conductivity.
I have access to both acrylic and 2 pack clear coats but once my pcb is made, components soldered on and and the finished PCB sprayed and dried, will this affect the operation of the circuit.
Ta

The products I mentioned work for me in my digital application.

Acrylic is often used as a insulator. I expect it to be a better insulator then air.

I expect the particles used to color most plastic based paints are held in suspension. I expect the particles are sparce enought that they do not provide a path for conduction and the resistance of colored paints of this type to be quite good.

If you have a doubt check it for yourself.

Disclainer: I have been correct once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back