Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Protecting IC pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm! i just thought of that: a TRIAC
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/02/Z0107MN.pdf
wouldn't that solve it all? 600V isolation, easy turn ON using gate drive, and since i want to conduct only when generating, i can also easily turn off by stopping the gate drive and stop generating, this will turn it off. and one turned off, we have 600 V isolation. That seems perfect, the only downside, is the ~1V drop out..

Could you just back me up, am i correct there?

That might work, but only if the current falls below the sustaining current of the device. If you're generating some arbitrary waveform in which the current doesn't go to zery ( or very near to it ) then the triac will never turn off.

That might work, but only if the current falls below the sustaining current of the device. If you're generating some arbitrary waveform in which the current doesn't go to zery ( or very near to it ) then the triac will never turn off.
if the IC that is generating the waveform is put on High Z, that will stop current flow right?

This thread brings me to the interesting thought that it seems that the perfect solid state relay is still to be invented.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back