Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proportional DC Motor speed controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im having lets say two motors which have the same RPM but operation at different voltages , one is 12V and the other is 6V , i wanna make both move in straight line which means , both have the same speed .. how do i do that ? and how PID control can help in that ? i've two encoders attached to the motors ... that's what in my pocket right now ..

As you have encoders on each wheel, you just need to ensure that both wheels move at identical speeds and for identical distances.

I don't see as PID is anything to do with it?.

ahmedragia21 said:
yea , but how to do that , by measuring both RPMs ? and make both RPMs the same or what ?

Yeah, you have to measure both RPMs, and obviously you can't make the 6V motor go at the same speed as the 12V motor for all speed ranges since the 12V motor is capable of going faster and providing more torque.

yea, i want the 12V motor to be like the 6V motor , to let the robot move at straight line path !
is that possible ?
also is there faster way to do that ? because measuring RPM needs measuring the revoultion per minute ! and its not possible , i want the robot to move at straight line since its start up ..

ahmedragia21 said:
yea, i want the 12V motor to be like the 6V motor , to let the robot move at straight line path !
is that possible ?
also is there faster way to do that ? because measuring RPM needs measuring the revoultion per minute ! and its not possible , i want the robot to move at straight line since its start up ..

For any low frequency you don't measure the frequency, you measure the time between pulses - this makes it far faster to do. Presumably your encoders give multiple pulses per revolution?.

Well, anyway nigel , im simulating this task in proteus , and i assume that im using 300CPP encoder with 110 rpm motors ..

so how do i measure the time between pulses ?
you mean Ton ?

ahmedragia21 said:
Well, anyway nigel , im simulating this task in proteus , and i assume that im using 300CPP encoder with 110 rpm motors ..

so how do i measure the time between pulses ?
you mean Ton ?

Detect start of first pulse, start counter, wait for start of second pulse, then stop counter.

You should be able to use the CPP module to do this in hardware, or use software to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back