Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Propably burned bulb takes out electrics. Quesiton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sew333

Hello. Today first time something tripped 2breakers in my house. I mean i was sitting on Windows 10 desktop ,like always and i hear BUM from fuse box. And power go down and lights goes off. Pc turned off.
I have that pc almost 1 year and something like that never happened. I think there was not circuit overload,because all devices was off,like tv,washer etc. Only pc was on. And nothing get damaged. Anybody have clue why it happened?

To turn back power again i change breaker to up of course. And its fine again.

PC:
Aorus AD27QD
AORUS PRO Z390-PRO GAMING
Aorus 2080 Ti waterforce stock
2x16GB DDR4 GSKILL XMP
9700K STOCK
Seasonic TX-750W TITANIUM PLUS PRIME

Never happened with that pc in whole year. Also pc is stable during full load etc.
Today i just browsing internet and power and lightning goes down. 1 breaker for power in wallsockets went down,and second breaker for lights went down. So i swap up breakers and power and lighting back.
Pc working like before again. Weird any clues?

Then.......i go to bathroom and saw that one of 3 halogen bulbs no lightning. So it get burned. So that was propably that halogen bulb? Or pc? But now its fine and working again and no issues.

For anyone considering to suggest Linux, please let us hear more details.

I am guessing a power surge burned out the bulb and tripped the circuit breaker.
Switch to Linux and call me in the morning.

call the power company to see if they have had any issues. They may owe you a new light bulb.

yes two small tripped breakers near each other. One for lights in house,second for power in wall sockets.

RCD ( that biggest on left ) not tripped.

Assuming they are MCB's?, then they VERY commonly trip when an old incandescent bulb blows - as they tend to go low resistance, or S/C, as they fail.

If you've got wired fuses in your fusebox, they will 'usually' survive bulb failure, but MCB's trip at the slightest provocation.

Also, long filament bulbs (spiral filaments and filaments with little hanger support wires) can blow and bridge to another section of the filament to make a shorter (lower resistance, higher current) bulb that sometimes shine very brightly for a half second or so. These can damage dimmer switches and trip breakers.

My mother enjoyed her decorative bulbs but she was constantly asking me to fix her dimmer switches.

Also, long filament bulbs (spiral filaments and filaments with little hanger support wires) can blow and bridge to another section of the filament to make a shorter (lower resistance, higher current) bulb that sometimes shine very brightly for a half second or so. These can damage dimmer switches and trip breakers.

My mother enjoyed her decorative bulbs but she was constantly asking me to fix her dimmer switches.

I used to repair a LOT of disco light units :D

I seem to remember the spotlights were PAR38's?, and like other incandescent bulbs when they failed they often went short briefly, and took out the triacs.

and like other incandescent bulbs when they failed they often went short briefly, and took out the triacs.
As the filament separates, it can cause an arc; a cloud of metal plasma that literally short-circuits the whole filament assembly.

It's the same effect as a simple wire fuse passing current momentarily after it has supposedly failed, and often leaving a visible burn or layer of copper around the wire area.

Just why power in wallsockets go out and lights at the same time? its as expected?
Light bulbs can handle a pretty big surges and electronics listed for multiple voltage input can also handle big surges but electronics like TVs and stereos cannot.

Light bulbs can fail shorted. Most of the time they don't. They can fail briefly shorted too.

I was driving and my headlights started to blink about once every 30s. The thermal breaker tripped and reset repeatedly.
Filament was shorted.

We used a lot of 300 W ELH projector bulbs. They would fail from vibration. Since they were on a current limited DC supply. They might get brighter for a short time. 4 ELH bulbs were on 8h/day usually unless we were life testing, then 4 bulbs with back-up bulbs were on 24/7.

We had to use EYC (12 V versions, lower wattage) of these bulbs because the filament was beefier. The changes in intensity was picked up by our equipment when using the higher voltage bulbs.

it could actually be better that way. If your using a power tool, if lighting fails at the same time as the tool is probably better than lighting fail while your using the tool.

In say, a machine shop it would be better to have two lighting feeds, but in many cases the bulb or ballast only might fail) maybe 4 out 0f 30 tubes.

In a home basement shop.....

I have an question. Its on my mind really,i am worried. So i never had an problem with pc ,computer ,its very expensive.
Maybe my pc tripped breaker,not that bulb? But like i said it happened once and pc is running fine now,like before.

I have an question. Its on my mind really,i am worried. So i never had an problem with pc ,computer ,its very expensive.
Maybe my pc tripped breaker,not that bulb? But like i said it happened once and pc is running fine now,like before.

NO! - your bulb blew - end of story!.

Does your PC still work? - if it does then there's nothing wrong with it, and it couldn't have blown your MCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back