Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project on renewable energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreea

Hello!
I study "Electronics, Telecommunications and Technology of Information" and I'm in my last year of university. I have to start working on my final thesis and I would like to do something about renewable energy. Beside writing the thesis, I also have to make/build a circuit.

I initially thought of making a solar powered mobile phone charger, but what I found is that it's too simple, you only need the solar panels and some wires and it's done. I would like to do something more complex than that, but not too complicated also, maybe using a microcontroller. Do you have any suggestion? What other projects using solar panels can be done?

I just want some ideas, not someone to write my thesis.

Thank you :)

Well, there's always the solar tracker idea (done to death, but will teach you a lot about feedback and control systems, especially in the solar business). You could also try doing a control system for solar heat or cooling. How about a solar powered air conditioner (maybe using peltier coolers? you'd need a large solar array, though)? What about a solar-powered (and aimed by a tracker) steam generator (perhaps running a small steam engine driving a generator)...?

You might also look into a solar electrolysis (hydrogen generation) system, controlled and monitored via a microcontroller...

:)

Hmmm...Well thanks for the ideas, but I have thought of some of your suggestions prior to my post and I am either afraid it's too complicated (the solar tracker) or it can't really be done practically, I mean for the demonstration part. I am looking for something which won't be very expensive and also something that I am able to finish in 3 weeks.

I've been re-searching circuits for my initial idea, the mobile phone charger using solar energy and I did find some things. For example this one: https://electroschematics.com/5635/solar-inverter-battery-charger/ The circuit looked promising, but then I read the comments which were not very encouraging :( Can someone suggest a more optimized circuit?

Hmmm...Well thanks for the ideas, but I have thought of some of your suggestions prior to my post and I am either afraid it's too complicated (the solar tracker)

A solar tracker is a very simple project, if you're wanting something simpler you're probably back down to a solar cell charging a phone.

What exactly would I need to buy for making the solar tracker? Could you suggest a circuit? I know that I need a microcontroller, the solar panel, a small motor, but I wonder what types of those would be best :confused:, so I know how much would it cost me.

What exactly would I need to buy for making the solar tracker? Could you suggest a circuit? I know that I need a microcontroller, the solar panel, a small motor, but I wonder what types of those would be best :confused:, so I know how much would it cost me.

If you wanted to do it quick and easy - for a two-axis solar tracker you would need a couple of r/c servos, four phototransistors, an Arduino, hookup wire, some cardboard, a bunch of hot glue, and maybe a few paperclips. For a single-axis (if, for instance, you only wanted to set it up for a given lattitude, and don't care about seasonal sun position changes), you would only need one servo, and two phototransistors, plus the rest.

Of course, things like a soldering iron, solder, perhaps a breadboard, your solar cell (not really required, though, for a tracker), etc - would also be needed to complete the project.

Well I decided the project will be about about maximum power point tracking.

Thank you all for your replies! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back