Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project Lights onto Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

Ok, here's the plan:

I'm currently building a good sound system for my room, so I figured I might as well get a good light show going on in there! I want to create a gadget to basically project a multi-channel sound level meter (I'm thinking maybe 4-6 channels). I've got an idea on how I'm going to actually make the bit that splits up the music and gives signals to power LEDs to show these levels, but what can I use (presumable powered through a relay) to project a block of light onto a flat surface (each 'block' will be about approx 15cm x 30cm and each channel will be a line of these blocks stacked with the longer sides touching almost).

Ideally the projecting device will be as small as possible, I'm hoping to house them in a long narrow box somewhere on the wall. The lights don't need to be particularly bright, they'll be used predominately when the room is dark. Mounting the lights on the ceiling isn't really an option for me.

Thanks for any advice!

What you are seeking is a 'Color Organ' here is a link...
//www.discovercircuits.com/C/color-org.htm

That should point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Looks good, but not really what I want. I've already got plans for figuring out which blocks of light should be on and off, what I'm looking for is a device that can just project that block of lights onto a flat surface. It doesn't need to be particularly bright and the distance will only be about 1m.

I'm looking to basically project one of these onto a ceiling:
**broken link removed**

ormo, I agree with bill, I don't think you will be able to project 'regular' leds with out lenses and some sort of projection apparatus. You might be able to do a heads up display on glass, but the 1m might be a stretch.

I might not have been clear in the first post: I'm not planning to use LEDs as the light source, I'm looking for something that can shine a light onto a surface about 30cm by 15cm from a distance of 1m (ish). In the first post I mentioned LEDs because I was saying I already have the plans for switching the lights on and off (the plans work with LEDs) and I'm looking to connect the outputs to relays to power the device I'm looking for. However I may be using a different approach now anyway.

Well in that case, I would build a series of boxes, one on top of the other and put colored lights or colored paper/glass over the opening of each one. Then with relay control, switch them on and off.

Nice idea, but I'm going to install 20 or so ultra-bright LEDs spaced about 20cm apart across the top of the wall and hook them up to an LM3915 VU meter with some transistors.

By the way my last post sounded a little aggressive... it wasn't meant to :).

Just to butt in where nobody asked for my opinion ;) but won't all those relays clattering along with the music be a little annoying?

Torben

That will be fun, just don't drive them over 30ma. I know that some of the ultra bright LEDs these days go about 750ma. If you have a 'color organ' circuit laid out you could drive three channels with different color Leds, might even look cool vertical, like columns of light, or a very large graphic equalizer. Post the design along the way I'd like to stay involved to see how it turns out.

//www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=LLS1

Here is a link to an interesting light show.

Just to butt in where nobody asked for my opinion ;) but won't all those relays clattering along with the music be a little annoying?

Torben
I counted 120 old relays. Why use relays? Isn't this the year 2009?

The project is called an audio spectrum analyser but I have never seen one shine onto the ceiling.

I counted 120 old relays. Why use relays? Isn't this the year 2009?

The project is called an audio spectrum analyser but I have never seen one shine onto the ceiling.

I've seen 'em do some wild stuff, but not with relays. I'd only use relays if I really hated my money and my sanity. Then again, maybe it would sound cool. I think it would sound like a 60s-era typing pool.

Ormo, why not use transistors?

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back