Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Progressive LED display based on freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro_mtn_biker

It seems the tach question has been covered a lot but I was unable to find any information on creating a tach made of several LED's. I'm building a small dash to be placed on the steering wheel of a racecar. I'd like to use 5-10 LED's to progressively light up as the RPM's increase for a small yet effective tach for the driver. I was wondering how I will light each LED based on the freq of the tach signal. Any assistance or circuit schematics would be greatly appreciated.

A row of 5-10 LED's will give you a very poor tacho readout. You really want a LED for every 100RPM or so, that's 60 for 6000RPM.

Driving these is easy by using the 2917 tacho chip which converts the tacho frequency to a varying voltage. This you can feed to a cascaded 3914 LED bar driver or just a simple meter with a tach scale.

I built one of these LED tachos years ago, still have it somewhere but the car I have now already has a tacho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back