Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming TI-89

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF Tech

The TI.com website is useless for the information I am looking for. When I run an electronics formula, such as Ohm's Law, I can put the appropriate symbol with the number and it will come up with an answer that displays E3 or E-9. How can I get the answer to display the correct symbol associated with E9 or E-12? Even when using "EEPro" the answer comes up in the "E*" format. I don't have this problem with the Casio I have but it doesn't have near the capabilities the TI-89 has. Thanks

is it really that hard to do it in your head? E3 is Kilo, E6 is Mega, E-3 is milli, E-6 is micro, E-9 is nano, E-12 is pico... etc.

there are only a handful that you have to memorize (those listed above are nearly all the ones you'll normally use) so once you get used to it, it becomes a complete no-brainer... especially since the 89 can keep everything in engineering form (scientific notation but with all powers of 10 in multiples of 3) so you don't have to shift around the decimal point in your head before doing the conversion...

what are you looking for it to display? something like milliamps or kilo-ohms?

You can only use the units that are built into the calc. if it's not listed in the 'units' screen, then it doesnt exist.

If you go into the 'mode' screen, all the way at the bottom, there should be something about which unit type to use, english, metric, or custom. if you select the custom option, it will let you set the default unit to use. it would probably be better to just learn the conversions yourself, or make a picture on the screen with the conversions on it.

BTW this is the calc I use, and I love it. the full qwerty keyboard kicks butt.
https://www.ticalc.org/images/calcs/v200-big.gif
I figured that since im upgrading from my 82, I might as well get the top of the line.
It's just like the 92 + but its got 3 megs of memory

Oh yeah, you can also use the triangle (a triangle that points to the left, looking at the pic of the 89 it looks like it is 2nd mode) to convert units. as long as they are in the same catagory of units it will work. for example, you enter 5_A(triangle)_mA it will give you 5000_mA. If you try to convert _mA to watts, you'll get an inconsistent units error.

If you really want to, you can create your own units - mA, uA, mV, etc. I don't know what's already built in, but it is easy to create new ones - i believe you just store them like variables, like

1_V/1_kOhm->1_mA

and so on. Hope that helps. I'm glad to see TI-89 posts on this forum, since i consider myself a TI-89 buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back