Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssembo

Hello,

I would like to get some basics of how microcontrollers are programmed, the USB Bit Whacker in particular. I have learnt that these take in signals (either analog or digital) go through a computer program and out put results. My query is how they are programmed. I am doing mostly power system but found much interest in this. Would like to learn.

Have learnt some C programming at school and was wondering if this/ anyother microcontrollers can be programmed in this! How are the input and output ports located on the PC? How do you address a code to a particular port.

Need the Beginners basics.

Thanks

the links above in micro controller section has been specially made for beginers like you. Read the threads above bor beginners

Each company has their own programming language. Some are easier than others. If you learn to program industrical programmable controllers you can write your own pay check. It is not hard it only takes a few weeks of practice to get it all stored in your brain then it is as easy as riding a bicycle. Switching from one language to a different language screws with my brain. It takes me a few minutes to get the hang of switching to something different after spending time programming a certain one. The ones I hate are the ones that are backwards, open means closed, closed means open. Some are more popular than others, learn the most popular ones. You will find in the real world most companies stay away from the hard ones it saves them money.

the links above in micro controller section has been specially made for beginers like you. Read the threads above bor beginners

I followed your advise man but upto now, i have not got any response. Please direct me to any text that can be of help. Thanks

ssembo I posted on 3 forums all you need to no on how to use and make a USB Bit Whacker you can use C18 with it or you can use a can firmware that lets you use the I/0 pins. It has a boot-loader that lets you hook it up to USB and download a hex or firmware take your pick.

I would buy this one USB Bit Whacker - 18F2553 Development Board - SparkFun Electronics
And download this https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/02/PIC18F255320UBW20Quickstart20Guide.pdf

Then go for the gold and read all that is here UBW (USB Bit Whacker) Project

Then after you get to here you'll ready for this https://www.schmalzhaus.com/Tools/HexmateInstructions.html

16 general I/O
Configurable up to 16 digital inputs or outputs (25mA sink/source capability)
Configurable up to 10 Analog channels
Hardware digital Capture, Compare, and PWM output
You can do all you were wanting to do and more!

If you would down load the pdf https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/02/PIC18F255320UBW20Quickstart20Guide.pdf

It tells you basally all you need to know.

Last edited:
If your wanting to learn programming buy a used SLC 150 and a hand held programmer. These are like computers the old ones get cheaper and cheaper until the company stopping making them then the prices start going up because people that have them already programmed do not want to spend big $$$ to buy a new unit then pay someone to program it. Here is a link to an SLC150 you want 120 VAC unit with a hand held programmer. 5 years ago these were dirt cheap $20 each now there is a shortage of used stuff so prices are going up. Buy one hang on to it a while then you can sell it for more than you paid. These are really cool you can program all sorts of things at home. Program lights, TV, stero, vacuum cleaner, dog barking sounds, all sorts of things to go on/off as if someone is home when you gone on vacation to keep thieves away. Program lights and TV to come on automatically when you enter a room and go off when you leave. Lots of fun to play with. The SLC 500 replaces the SLC 150 these were about $1000 each when they were new technology. Do not buy the DC unit unless your using magnetic switches as inputs. The expander can be added on to double memory size you can addd as many expanders as you like. Expander has to match the unit you already have you can not connect a AC unit to a DC unit. If you watch you can find some computer software for these units but you will need an old 486DX computer to programming instead of the hand held programmer. The computer is much faster than the hand held programmer plus you can view your whole program on the computer screen the hand held unit only lets you view 1 line.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back