Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming a PAL16R4A-2CN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCrouch

Hi,
Hello to everyone - my first post and I am asking for help already!

My work involves the renovation of pinball machines, and as I am an electronics engineer I don't normally have any problems with the electonics side of them. I currently have a pinball with me that uses a PAL16R4A-2CN that has gone bad. Unfortunately none of my EPROM programmers are capable of programming this device, and my funds don't stretch to one that does.

Is there someone out there that could either program one for me (I have the file) or supply and program one for me. Of course I would be happy to pay for such a service and cover all costs incurred. Ideally based in the UK or Europe to make posting easy.

Cheers,
Mike

Is the PAL16R4A-2CN a new chip or an older chip? As I recall, it sounds older (the TI datasheet looks older). Do you have a chip to be programmed?

Hi,

Definitely an old chip. Probably from around 1980 as this is the year of manufacture for this pinball machine. Both my programmers handle many old EPROMs that are used on these machines (2716, 2732, etc.) , but cannot program this device. I can supply the chip to be programmed as they are still available as NOS.

I'm trying to find documentation online for my (old) programmer. I know it is a Needham Electronics EMP-xx, I think an EMP-20. Worst case I can see when I get home, then get back to you.

Update: I'm finding stuff online for the programmer, assuming it is an EMP-20. But I'm not seeing that it will program the PAL16R4. Do you know which programmers are capable of programming the chip?

Final Update: No luck. The programmer I have is the EMP-20 and the PAL16R8 is not on the list.

Last edited:
I have only the one programmer, but figured if I asked then someone else may recognize the model and volunteer to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back