Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programmer geek wants to start basic electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giddy_geek

hi,

I'm a proficient C# programmer and MCP.

I've got my vacations now and i thought of getting into electronics.:D

All i know so far is Boolean Gates in theory and how they can be produced on a circuit.

I need to know about transistors, capacitors, amplifiers etc , maybe what they are would be great, then i could figure how they relate to simple ICs.

Any good books I should look at?

Thanks so much
Gideon

I guess you missed the Good Book section Under Main forums page.

giddy_geek said:
hi,

I'm a proficient C# programmer and MCP.

I've got my vacations now and i thought of getting into electronics.:D

All i know so far is Boolean Gates in theory and how they can be produced on a circuit.

I need to know about transistors, capacitors, amplifiers etc , maybe what they are would be great, then i could figure how they relate to simple ICs.

Any good books I should look at?

Thanks so much
Gideon

I recommend the Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill. It might appear a bit dense at first but it really covers a lot of ground and is clear and easy to understand.

Tattoo Ohm's Law inside your eyelids. :)

This is a good online tutorial book:

Wikipedia, Google, and this forum are also good resources (guess you figured that out already).

Get yourself one of those 500-in-1 electronics labs from Radio Shack or somewhere. Together with online resources and AoE, it's an easy way to experiment without having to fill your place with lots of components which you don't know whether you need right off the bat.

There are more but that should get you started. Good luck and enjoy,

Torben

thanks.. some more questions

Thanks so much for your reply!

I recommend the Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill. It might appear a bit dense at first but it really covers a lot of ground and is clear and easy to understand.
Thanks i took a look at it on amazon, will try to get it.
but, this book is available at my library, any idea if its good enough!??
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205671190&sr=8-1

Tattoo Ohm's Law inside your eyelids.
haha, dw i know ohms law! I just finished giving my high school final exams this week! Then again, i don't know physics as well as i should since we don't really know what our physics teachers look like at school! :p

Wikipedia, Google, and this forum are also good resources (guess you figured that out already).
Yep, everything in computing including studying for my MCP exam, I've learned from the internet.

Thanks so much
Gideon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back