Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programing pic16f

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubsta82

First off I did a quick search and did not find exactly what I was looking for.
What I would like to know is the most "simple" way to program a pic16f676, this would be used for a voltmeter I have already assembled minus the Pic. Along with the authors schematic I have the hex code. Is it easier to build ones own programmer using a schematic and making another board to last me with a 14pin socket? Then use some free software to program the pic. Give me your suggestions on how I should go about doing this.

Thanks,

Ken

If you are making a PIC project you might find they are addicting and you soon want to make more... :)

I would consider spending $40 on a PICKit 2 programmer which will program all the PICs, or better still spend $50 on a Junebug which will program the PICs just as good BUT also has a built in development board and another PIC which you can use to develop your own projects. Well worth the extra $10.

The Junebug is a kit, I did a review of building it here;
JuneBug review, and serial port driving

some simple C projects using it here;
Connect JuneBug to serial port and Sharp GP2 sensor

and this is the official site of the Junebug;
blueroomelectronics - Smart Kits Build Smart People

if you wanted to spend more money to get a high-end development system I like the MikroE dev boards and thei C compiler;
Development Tools | mikroElektronika

Wow thank you for the recommendations I will check them out!

I know this type of stuff gets extremely addicting...
I had only recently starting playing with circuits kick started with my love of guitar and making my first effects pedal with many more to come.

All of these recommendations are A+ however i was looking for something that would require more time on my part.. maybe a diy programmer starting with a schematic or pcb. Only something that would last me for a while and cover most basic needs until I take a larger step and buy an expensive programmer and software. Remember i am fairly new and would like to keep things simple. I just love building my own from start to finish.

Thank you very much,

ken

All of these recommendations are A+ however i was looking for something that would require more time on my part.. maybe a diy programmer starting with a schematic or pcb. Only something that would last me for a while and cover most basic needs until I take a larger step and buy an expensive programmer and software. Remember i am fairly new and would like to keep things simple. I just love building my own from start to finish.

Thank you very much,

ken

Then you should avoid trying to make your own programmer and begin with 'known good hardware.' That eliminates an unknown and you will have much less frustration when starting out. :)

Buy the Junebug kit, have fun putting it together, and learn about microcontrollers. Then when you have a good grasp on the firmware venture into creating the hardware. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back