Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with Ozipic'er and various programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiebert

Hi guys,

New to this forum and also quite new to electronics.

I've built the Ozipic programmer and it worked for about 1 hour. I used Nigel's WinPicProg software. It detected the port OK.

After about an hour it stopped working and it didn't detect the port again. It just displays Port : None.

I've emailed Nigel (as you might remember) and I've since tried everything. I've even built a brand new programmer, but is still doesn't detect the port.

With the programmer plugged in and powered up I can make the VPP40, VPP and VDD LED's light up from the Hardware panel in the software, which means to me that the parallel port is talking to the programmer.

This is however the only thing that happens and I'm unable to program any PICs.

I've also tried Winpic800, Winpic and ICprog, but no joy.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
WinPicProg has manual toggle buttons, so you can manually switch the output lines in order to debug the programmer. Switch the lines HIGH and LOW and measure the voltages on the programmer.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I managed to get it working on a different computer. I also had a problem with the power supply. I was using a ATX computer power supply with a -5V & +12V to give me 17V.

I almost fried the board ! The diodes in the bridge started smoldering. I replaced them and I'm now using 2 9V batteries in series.

I've tested all the pins that I could and this is what I found :

Computer that works :

Vdd 4.9V
Vpp 12.6V
Vpp40 12.6V
Output 4.94V High and 0V at low
Clock 4.94V

Computer where it doesn't work:

Vdd 4.9V
Vpp 12.6V
Vpp40 12.6V
Output 4.94V High and 4.94V at low
Clock 4.94V

It seems as if the data output stays high. Does this mean that I've freid the parallel port ? How can I test if it is working ok ?

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I managed to get it working on a different computer. I also had a problem with the power supply. I was using a ATX computer power supply with a -5V & +12V to give me 17V.

I almost fried the board ! The diodes in the bridge started smoldering. I replaced them and I'm now using 2 9V batteries in series.

I've tested all the pins that I could and this is what I found :

Computer that works :

Vdd 4.9V
Vpp 12.6V
Vpp40 12.6V
Output 4.94V High and 0V at low
Clock 4.94V

Computer where it doesn't work:

Vdd 4.9V
Vpp 12.6V
Vpp40 12.6V
Output 4.94V High and 4.94V at low
Clock 4.94V

It seems as if the data output stays high. Does this mean that I've freid the parallel port ? How can I test if it is working ok ?

Quite possibly you have, try connecting a printer to it and see if that works?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back