Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with Cascading First order active filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbinz

Hi everyone, wooo first post :)

I am designing a passband filter using a high and low pass filters. When I model it using Tina8 with ideal op amps the filter works beautifully as it should.

Whenever I put in real op amps I get some irregularities. It spikes at the end then the output gain is off. I have searched and searched but cannot find out why.

I believe it is possibly Harmonic Distortion but am not 100% sure.

I have attached both what I wish it to look like, what it does look like and my circuit.

If anyone could give me a hand recognising the problem I would greatly appretiate it.

Thanks you

Attachments

• How it should look.JPG
    How it should look.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 380
  • How it does look.JPG
    How it does look.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 323
  • My CCT.JPG
    My CCT.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 337
I may be barking up the wrong tree but the first thing I would suspect is an unsimulated feedback path. Layout would be the primary suspect and a lack of bypass capacitors on the power supply or at least the opamp power input leads would be my next concern. It looks like you have a positive feedback path operating around 700K that may even need some interstage shielding.

Harmonic distortion is not likely to be causing the problem.

I suspect the gain-bandwidth of the op amps may also be contributing. Rerun your simulations with an op amp with a GBW (Unity gain bandwidth) of 4MHz as the TL071C has.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, wooo first post :)

I am designing a passband filter using a high and low pass filters. When I model it using Tina8 with ideal op amps the filter works beautifully as it should.

Whenever I put in real op amps I get some irregularities. It spikes at the end then the output gain is off. I have searched and searched but cannot find out why.

I believe it is possibly Harmonic Distortion but am not 100% sure.

I have attached both what I wish it to look like, what it does look like and my circuit.

If anyone could give me a hand recognising the problem I would greatly appretiate it.

Thanks you

Hello,

What is your input signal level? Did you check to see that are within the common mode input range of the op amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back