Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with programming a 16F1708 via PICKIT 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I bought a PK3 some months ago & used it to programme a 16F1708 via MPLAB 8.92.
(I have MPLABX but have not worked out how the use it fully & did not want to waste time climbing the learning curve). 8.92 does all I want.

However, the programming software I have used for years (WINPIC) does not include the 16F1708. So I had to buy the PK3

Yesterday, I tried to use PK3 again to do another 16F1708 and received the "Target device ID (0x0) does not match ......0" message.
I connected my scope to the Vpp (without the PIC installed) and found it was only 4.4 Volt rather than the required 8 ~ 9 Volt. I checked the hardware and it was OK.
I also tried to programme a 12F675 but received the same message.

It would be excellent if someone knows how to enter the 16F1708 into WINPIC.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Have you tried to configure winpic yourself... Shows you how here.. https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpic/#unsupported_pics

Pickit3 is a pain as it doesn't hold any firmware data, it requires each chip programming firmware to be uploaded every chip change.. That said you only need to set a voltage in the settings tab... However!! Are you sure MPLAB 8xx supports that chip?? Its a bit new for MPLAB 8xx

Thanks Ian, that is exactly what I wanted know.
The 16F1709 is the only PIC that I use that is not covered by WINPIC. So I'll look at the link & add the 16F1708.
Yes, MPLAB does include the 1708 but the simulation does not work fully.
The interrupts on change on the RC i/o don't work but I was able to work around that without much problem.

Have you tried to configure winpic yourself... Shows you how here.. https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpic/#unsupported_pics

Pickit3 is a pain as it doesn't hold any firmware data, it requires each chip programming firmware to be uploaded every chip change.. That said you only need to set a voltage in the settings tab... However!! Are you sure MPLAB 8xx supports that chip?? Its a bit new for MPLAB 8xx
Ian,
After trying several suggestions by people on other forums, I concluded that my PK3 is faulty. So I gave up on it.
So then I tried to enter the 16F1708 into WINPIC according to the link you gave me. I managed to do part of it, but eventually came to an impasse. I could not work out what to do next. The instructions are not clear. So rather than waste more time trying to work it out, I have decided to use a different PIC - one that is in WINPIC. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Ian for the suggestion & Mickster for the translation. However, I bought the PK3 via Ebay in Nov 17. So, if there was a warranty (which I doubt) it will have expired. So I decided to buy another one. They are much cheaper through Ebay than from Microchip & others. I know the quality may be doubtful, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back