Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem reading current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea

I am a newbe, so please excuse me if this question has been asked b4.

Having decided to give electrics ago I bought a new multimeter.
I am having trouble reading current (I know how to!): The simplest circuit of a 9V battery & 1k5 resistor, my 25year old analog Laser meter gives ~6mA. But my new meter works a few times then reads zero. I tried a Maplins N56FU, this is exclusive to Maplins I think it has a great spec, but they don't sell replacements fuses 4 it & the 500mA fuse was blown (returned!). I also tried Maplins Uni-T UT58C DMM (3) and had the same problem with current.

Is this normal, or are you thinking I must be doing something crazy, I'm not!:)
If it is normal please can anyone recommend a meter that I can get spare fuses 4, at a reasonable cost (UK say £15 to £35). I want to build some simple circuits to learn about the 555 & 741 and that kind of stuff.

Thanks.

The fuse should not be blowing at 9V/1k5 = 6mA...
You are putting it in series right?
This is not normal your multimeter should not be breaking.
I dont know about in the Uk but a cheap multimeter here goes for 5$ CAD which is about 3£. Why pay over 15 when you can get 5 new multimeters?

Yes, in series. The cheapest is about £7. But without AC current (not sure if I need it) or frequency, which I would like I think. Maybe accuracy is an issue, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back