Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

printed circuit touch control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have all the parts from a treadmill and everything works.:) What I need to do is go from the touch control to another type of control hopefully a switch and potentiometer. Attached is a couple of pictures of the existing touch control that I need to change. Don't know much about this type of control. Any ideas? Thank you.

Attachments

• P1010341.JPG
    P1010341.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 186
  • P1010340.JPG
    P1010340.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 182
Assuming there are 8 buttons and the left most trace goes to the top of each button, then a push button with a 10k (guess) series resistor should be able to replace all touch pads.

Mike.
Edit, was there a rubber keypad on top of that PCB? If so, the resistor value may be too high.

Thanks, Pommie.
I will need to do some surgery on one of the key pads that I don't need and I will let you know. I only need three on the keys because I am using the mechanical parts for a project.
Bruce

Pommie
Peeled off one of the pads on the front side of the circuit and did not find any rubber or padding of any kind. I will try the 10k resistor and see what happens.
Bruce

They look to be basic metal-to-metal membrane switches, you should be able to replace them with any generic push to make switches, no resistors needed.

The interleaved "finger" contacts are on one layer and metal ovals on another, with a separator layer inbetween that has cutouts around the contact areas. That keeps them apart normally but allows the outer layer to be pressed in and short the two sets of finger contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back