Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powersupply for ICD2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MathGeek said:
... although I am a litle concerned that if indeed ICD2 uses 1.5A continuously for a long time, my wallwart may blow up.

ICD2 needs only very low current, less than 100mA I would say. The rest of the current is simply used to power up your external project.

If your external project does not need a lot of current, then no worry.

If it does, then you should not power it up using the ICD2 but to use a separate power supply instead.

eblc1388 said:
MathGeek said:
... although I am a litle concerned that if indeed ICD2 uses 1.5A continuously for a long time, my wallwart may blow up.

ICD2 needs only very low current, less than 100mA I would say. The rest of the current is simply used to power up your external project.

If your external project does not need a lot of current, then no worry.

If it does, then you should not power it up using the ICD2 but to use a separate power supply instead.
I just want to say that my ICD2 clone is taking approx. ~40mA :D

Thanks guys. It seems that this is going to work out perfectly.

Yesterday, I finished the whole Mid-Range manual and ICD2 manual.

I still have some questions though.

If my target application provides its own power, Vdd flows from the target through pin2 of the cable to ICD2 buffers?

Oh, one bad thing about buying a ICD2 clone is that I don't know if all the hardware details in the Microchip ICD2 manual is going to apply to my machine.

MathGeek said:
Yesterday, I finished the whole Mid-Range manual and ICD2 manual.

The Mid-Range manual is nearly a 700 page document so you must be a fast reader.

MathGeek said:
If my target application provides its own power, Vdd flows from the target through pin2 of the cable to ICD2 buffers?

You have to disconnect the PIC 5V from the target so that the PIC's 5V is provided by the ICD2 during programming and debugging.

MathGeek said:
Oh, one bad thing about buying a ICD2 clone is that I don't know if all the hardware details in the Microchip ICD2 manual is going to apply to my machine.

You'll know ,eventually.

eblc1388 said:
MathGeek said:

You have to disconnect the PIC 5V from the target so that the PIC's 5V is provided by the ICD2 during programming and debugging.
That's why VDD switch is NOT useless... :D

I read the manuals, but i don't know if I can recall anything :)

Oh, I see, so that in the essence, PIC mcu itself is powered by ICD2 during programming and debugging no matter what. In other words, PIC's Vdd is isolated from the target voltage supply.

Does PIC's Vss have to be also isolated from the target ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back