Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickmo

I am building a project that requires a small, low voltage LED powered by a 9 volt battery. How do I connect this? Do I need a resistor? The LED spec 2.2V 25 mA. I only want a "normal" glowing LED, not the super bright ones you see in flashlights. Like a "power is on" light.
Thanks.

Rickmo

Thanks.
So does this mean the output of the resistor is 1/4 watt? Regardless of the input voltage, in this case 9V?
Also.. how long do you think a 9volt battery would run this light?

Looking at Fry's... they list a 1/4 watt 5% carbon film resistor (seems expensive. .95)
Also a Power Resistor
and a SIP single in line resistor.
Which is the one I need?

If all you are trying to do is make an "on" indicator, there is nothing that says you need to run the LED at 25mA. I have run some "ultrabrite red LEDs" on as little as 500uA, and they are bright enough to see in sunlight.

If the goal is long battery run times, then try 1/2 to 2mA, and see if you like it.

The formula for figuring the resistor value has already been given to you. Just reduce the LED current by making the resistor bigger: R = E/I = (9V-2.2V)/0.001mA = 6800Ω. (Resistor range 3K to 12KΩ).

The power rating of the resistor just has to be more than the resistor is actually dissipating which can be calculated as P= I*E = 0.001mA*(9V-2.2V) = 6.8mW, so a 1/4W carbon or metal film resistor is more than good enough.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. But you're way over my head I'm afraid. I know nothing about this and certainly don't follow your very excellent formulas!
I don't need a super bright. Just bright enough to see and I want to last as long as possible on a 9v battery.
More thoughts?

I don't need a super bright. Just bright enough to see and I want to last as long as possible on a 9v battery.
More thoughts?

Yes you do! The Superbright puts out more light at very low operating currents, therefore makes the battery run time much longer.

Last edited:
LED's can provide useful light (because the human eye is so sensitive) with very little current if just basic vision is needed. Doing this efficienctly can be a problem though as you need a method to control the current to the LED that doesn't result in a lot of loss.

Last edited:
Ok, so... if you wanted to make a light that is bright enough to see... like a power on light... and you wanted to power it with a 9v battery... and you wanted it to last a long time... what would you use?

Ok, so... if you wanted to make a light that is bright enough to see... like a power on light... and you wanted to power it with a 9v battery... and you wanted it to last a long time... what would you use?
You have already been told to use 6800 ohms. 3300 ohms will be a little brighter.
370 ohms is not a standard resistor value and will kill the 9V battery very soon.

Maybe you should make a circuit that blinks an LED. Then it is turned off for most of the time so the battery lasts for a very long time.

I designed two chaser circuits that light 10 very bright LEDs in a sequence. It runs around a few times then stops. Then it chases around again then stops again.
Each LED is lighted for a very short time then all the LEDs are turned off when it stops. So the 3V or 6V average battery current is very low and the battery lasts for months.
A pot adjusts how fast it spins and another pot controls the brightness with pulse-width-modulation but they are always set to max brightness.

I made about 12 of them in different colours. I gave some away, sold some and kept some.
The 3V ones keep blinking when the two AA alkaline cells drop to a total of 1.5V but then the red LEDs are fairly dim.

The parts cost about $5.00 ($100.00 at RadioShack).

Looking at Fry's... they list a 1/4 watt 5% carbon film resistor (seems expensive. .95)
Also a Power Resistor
and a SIP single in line resistor.
Which is the one I need?

Fry's??? You must be on the West Coast.

You want the 1/4Watt carbon film resistor. You can typically get a package of 5 or so for a couple bucks.

Last edited:
Carbon film 5% 1/4W resistors are $.05 each, aren't they?
I bought an assortment of about 200 for $4.00.

What's your point? He doesn't need 200. Either way, it's just a few cents per part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back