Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power to a tiny, self-contained VIBRATING MOTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolemnovak

I am building a strange chair, that, among other things, will have a seat that vibrates. I ordered several motors, but am not able to solder wires (to my battery) from the tiny leads provided. I tried two different kinds of solder, and although the solder sticks (somewhat), a little movement and the connection breaks off. I've even tried crazy glue as a Jameco rep suggested (bad idea!).. What can I do?

this is the link for a picture of the motor:

https://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=400&item=VB-1&type=store

thanks

I don't see how a couple of those vibrators are going to make a seat vibrate, i can barely feel my cell phone vibrate when it is in my pocket.

evandude said:
get wires soldered on and then put a drop of epoxy on there.... that'll keep them from snapping off

What he said. Epoxy is one of the strongest adhesives known. It will surely get the job done. WAY stronger than those liquid glues like Krazy Glue, Super Glue, and Future Glue; and... whatever else they have. They're all the same anyway. :wink:

Rain

Batteries aren't usually designed to be soldered, you need to clean the connections before you try and solder them - use an abrasive paper to get through to a surface that will take solder!.

I agree, the motors that I'm using won't really "vibrate," but rather buzz on your bottom. I got a lot of other vibrating motors (with the offset weight), but they weren't enclosed, so as soon as a little pressure was put on them, they stopped. So I decided to go with these since they're enclosed. If anyone else knows where I can get stronger vibrating motors from somewhere that would be helpful (I know that sounds strange..).

I will definately try the epoxy tonight and see how that goes. Thanks for all your replies!

just build one!! All ya gotta do is put some weight that is off balance on any motor.

the other day i had the computer open and couldnt resist the urge to stick my finger close to the fan to feel the fan blades buzz by my finger . . . got too close and broke off one of the fan blades. Made a GREAT vibrator. If i'd left the computer on, it probably would have vibrated the cpu loose.

nicolemnovak said:
I agree, the motors that I'm using won't really "vibrate," but rather buzz on your bottom. I got a lot of other vibrating motors (with the offset weight), but they weren't enclosed, so as soon as a little pressure was put on them, they stopped. So I decided to go with these since they're enclosed. If anyone else knows where I can get stronger vibrating motors from somewhere that would be helpful (I know that sounds strange..).

I will definately try the epoxy tonight and see how that goes. Thanks for all your replies!
those electric tooth brushes vibrate pretty well..

Well the key is to fasten the wires on the motor as a strain relief, away from the soldered joint, with slack in between since tension will pull the center of the wire out a bit while insulating is pinned down by the glue.

Just hook up one of these. It'll make your chair move!

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

There's always people selling them on eBay.

Well, the epoxy seems to have worked. I put it on last night and this morning I tested to see if it's holding. I'm just hoping that it will stand up to the test of time..

Thanks for the tip Oznog, I didn't even think of looking one of those up! I'll definately try it after I get this chair done. (I'm working on a "series" of these vibrating chairs)

Thanks to everyone who responded

Oznog said:
Just hook up one of these. It'll make your chair move!

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

There's always people selling them on eBay.
I am soooo tempted to get that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back