Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply for EMP Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just repeating what I heard from a friend who was an A6 avionics tech. It was part of the ECM system where they could direct highly focused microwaves at another plane. I've heard it being used by cops before too to disrupt vehicles. There are still plenty of electronics exposed in a plane.

Let me see if I can find info on it

Last edited:
See-Through-Wall Radar and Vehicle-Disabling Microwave Tech for Mil/LE Apps
Method and Apparatus for Remotely Disabling Vehicles - Patent application

Couldn't find any articles on the fighter version. I think they just used the main RADAR dish and just had it output at very high power. My buddy used to talk about how they would turn it on each other for "the fun of it" and watch as the persons keys and dogtags would heat up. Guess they didn't get the correlation between microwaves and oven yet. :-\

Shine, is good to learn about everything, including military technology. Now, if you wanna do some "weapons" by yourself there is a lot of projects too choose from: RC controlled BB Guns, Potato Cannons, or high technology robot wars.

But EMP? dude, if not a simple physics book, at least read Wikipedia first

The term electromagnetic pulse ... A burst of electromagnetic radiation that results from an explosion (especially a nuclear explosion) ... may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges.

Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) is an electromagnetic pulse generated without use of nuclear weapons. There are a number of devices that can achieve this objective, ranging from a large low-inductance capacitor bank discharged into a single-loop antenna or a microwave generator to an explosively pumped flux compression generator. To achieve the frequency characteristics of the pulse needed for optimal coupling into the target, wave-shaping circuits and/or microwave generators are added between the pulse source and the antenna. A vacuum tube particularly suitable for microwave conversion of high energy pulses is the vircator.

Now, about the required power

An Explosively pumped flux compression generator can be used only once as a pulsed power supply since the device is physically destroyed during operation. An EPFCG package that could be easily carried by a person can produce pulses in the millions of amperes and tens of terawatts, exceeding the power of a lightning strike by orders of magnitude.[citation needed] They require a starting current pulse to operate, usually supplied by capacitors.

I love the "citation need" part :D but at least you get the point: Stop thinking about huge amounts of energy and AA cells. That's ridiculous.

Here is a very interesting article you should look at
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm

Last edited:
The patent means nothing, and the target high frequency EM pulse system you linked is something under test and has no proven systems.

My buddy used to talk about how they would turn it on each other for "the fun of it" and watch as the persons keys and dogtags would heat up. Guess they didn't get the correlation between microwaves and oven yet. :-\
with any luck it sterilized him. Either he's dumb as a block of steel or has balls of solid rock, hopefully it's not cancerous...

Last edited:
Menticol said:
Stop thinking about huge amounts of energy and AA cells.
I never mention about "AA cells". I said about 12V battery - that's different things. What's more important , I never mention about any "weapons" and I am not interested to create it. If you have read the Eureka Aerospace web site, you also will not find there any mention about the weapon: they do not do a weapon, they specializes in microwave and RF technologies: Non-Lethal Area Denial System, Through-the-wall imaging system, etc. I don't see principial difference between EMP and NNEMP: that just terms and nothing more. We talking about high-power microwave energy.

Which is ILLEGAL shine. If someone can prove that a device you built harmed their electronics hardware in any way shape or form especially from EM discharge you could be fined more than you'll ever make in your lifetime, and face criminal charges. If you do something really stupid and manage to start a fire and injure someone you're liable, if it results in someones death you can go to jail for life for criminally negligent manslaughter and depending on the case a few of the degrees of murder.

To discuss the microwave and RF technologies, targeted application of electromagnetic theory, high-power electromagnetic system for stopping Vehicles is illegal?

No but operating a device capable of doing so is, especially when you've already specifically stated you're looking for a schematic for a device which would be illegal if operated. In this particular case the gun itself isn't illegal, firing it is.

Sorry shine, you are right:

1. 12V will create enough power to trigger the EMP. AA cells are not sufficient.
2. Cooking remotely placed sausages, exposing people and structures to non-ionizing radiation, and stopping vehicles with no aparent reason is entirely legal. Sorry if I misunderstood your good faith.

My next project is creating a substance capable of sudden expansion of the material after initiation, usually accompanied by the production of light, heat, and pressure.

Last edited:
The cannon (whether mounted on aircraft or a squad car) is nowhere near ready for prime time
I'm sure they work... sometimes. I fail to see in what conditions they can work in better than traditional methods can.

Last edited:
Airliners are being struck by lightning all the time without damage. I've even been driving a car that was struck by lightning.. blew the wiper blades off but no electrical/electronic damage.

When you can get that kind of power from a 12V source then you still will have a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
Airliners are being struck by lightning all the time without damage. I've even been driving a car that was struck by lightning.. blew the wiper blades off but no electrical/electronic damage.

When you can get that kind of power from a 12V source then you still will have a lot of work to do.

Well, it depends. If it strikes an antenna, a window or a non metallic surface, results will not be good. A friend of mine got a direct impact on the copilot side, window cracked and a soft hissing started (ERJ-190). The light and sound blast left him blind and numb for some seconds, but emergency descent improved everything.

Last edited:
I don't think shine is that kind of person Menticol, just my off the cuff personal opinion mind you. I however think they are seriously misinformed and miseducated about the topic.

Last edited:
I don't think shine is that kind of person Menticol, just my off the cuff personal opinion mind you. I however think they are seriously misinformed and miseducated about the topic.

That's correct Sceadwian, but information against misinformation is not enough when people doesn't follow any advice. I'm a total noob on the electronics field and many others, but listening more experienced people slowly improves my condition. Fighting against their commentaries will not do any good.

Shine, instead of complaining about the AA batteries joke please read the link on that post, it will give you new ideas

EMP is short for Electro Magnetic Pulse. It is produced buy discharging a very large current through a coil of wire. The coil produces one giant magnet pulse. The magnetfield caused semiconductor devices to generate a high voltage inside that is what burns them out. The metal body of a car or airplane produced Faraday cage this protects the internal parts and the people inside. Lightning is not EMP. An atomic bomb also produces EMP. Electronic equipment can be specifically designed to be protected from EMP.

A farday cage does not protect against magnetic lines of force, especially on the magnitude of an EMP. They are to protect against electromagnetic radiation, which is quite different.

So, just make a mumetal faraday cage, then both the magnetic and electric components are so severely attenuated as to make EMP attacks against the device impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back