Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply for EMP Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to couple a Marx generator to an antenna.

What for????????

Build a Tesla Coil it is easier, cheaper and more fun. I use to have about 6 or 7 different size TCs from 2" diameter to 10" diameter. Here is a pic of my 10" coil running on 12KW. It produces 12 foot long arcs and sparks. The sphere is 3 ft diameter. I set this in the back yard it produces a 27 foot circle of sparks in the yard. It sets off every motion detector light and every security alarm system in the neighbor hood for a 4 block radius around my house. It freaks out automatic garage doors they open and close over and over. After dark I can see lights flashing and hear alarms going off in all directions.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
These Tesla Coil devices are stationary, its bulky enough, big transformer requires home power outlet. Good for home, laboratory.

Sorry shine, but any device with a metalic case or any type of shielding will be completely immune to anything you can home brew. And the police do have such a device, it however has to be run over by the car in question and make contact with the body frame, it discharges a high voltage pulse destroying most of the electrical system. Even thin foil will block it.

Last edited:
Sorry shine, but any device with a metalic case or any type of shielding will be completely immune to anything you can home brew. And the police do have such a device, it however has to be run over by the car in question and make contact with the body frame, it discharges a high voltage pulse destroying most of the electrical system. Even thin foil will block it.

no physical contact with car is required: they send an impulse into runaway car which destroys electrical system. But seems this remains in experiments as each car has own ignition system, so it was difficult to adjust generator for each system.

Last edited:
Sorry shine, I'd need you to post proof of such a system, I don't believe one exists, the one you're talking about requires the vehicle to run over the device for the discharge. It would be completely impractical to send an EMP at a car, the metal body would naturally shield the electronics inside nearly completely.

I read about this system probably one year ago, a several articles has been published about these experiments, for example:

**broken link removed**
https://eurekaaerospace.com/news/abc-news-microwave-gun-could-end-high-speed-police-chases
https://eurekaaerospace.com/content/high-power-electromagnetic-system-stopping-vehicles
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1417991&isnumber=30675

Quotation: 'The radiated microwave energy will upset or damage the vehicle's electronic systems, particularly the microprocessors that control important engine functions, such as the ignition control, the fuel injector, and the fuel-pump control. However, electronic control modules were not built into most cars until 1972, hence the system will not work on automobiles made before that year.'

Last edited:
Shine you're kidding right? The experiment was mount IN the car, and sometimes didn't work... And you consider this a working proof of concept of an EM pulse in practice?

Your statement that the system had sufficient power to destroy the car remotely is also wrong if it had to be IN The car. Just because they actuated it with a remote from outside doesn't mean anything. It probably also had to be aimed or very near the ignition system of the car to work.

There is lots of hostility to ill mannered people using cell phones in public places! I totally despise mindless gabbling, where you can't escape, or the bad manners of people of all ages who seem to think their affairs (literal as well as figurative) will interest all within hearing range. They even raise their voices, so everyone can hear. How nice! Just walk past some loud mouth jerk with a cell phone and push the kill button it solves the problem every time.

That's an interesting concept. I would have thought a person has the right to talk to another person in a public place.

So you think it is ok to destroy their property... based on what? That they dared to annoy you by speaking in a public place?

Or it the fact that one of the 2 speakers is remote that means the speaker near you loses their normal rights?

Yeah, destroying mobile phones, is an extreme solution. As such, anyone who does that deserves to be arrested, and prosecuted.

As always, this type of topic has turned into the wider discussion of morality and feasability. I do'nt tihnk any more can be said.

There is lots of hostility to ill mannered people using cell phones in public places!
I think it was simply the joke.. :)..
The Tesla Coil effect on sphere looks very nice. But if play with that TC in small room it can damage all home electronics: laptops, external data storage, flash memory. Am I right?

Last edited:
In general, I need compact portable system based on the above example, but much less powerful (~1.6 feet distance), with small antenna, powered from 12V battery.

Last edited:
I have yet to damage anything electronic with my Tesla coils. But then I am not running the multi KW stuff though.
If you keep the wattage relatively reasonable and dont get to carried away its generally not going to be much of a problem.

Just take added measures to shield the spark gap and primary drive circuits when ever possible.
If built properly a lower power Tesla coil is well tuned and wont have much overall effect on electronics.
Its the spark gap circuit that pounding out all the wide ranging RF noise that causes most of the interference problems as I have ever experienced and understood it.

i think that this circuit is completely fake. they list in the parts list a 3055 transistor for Q1, 3055 is an NPN transistor, in the circuit diagram they use a PNP transistor.+

probably mistake?
Here is complete book where is this circuit:

**broken link removed**
2nd link:
**broken link removed**

check it out.

What some cops use is the same stuff used by the military on planes. They are just microwave generators with a directional antenna (dish or cone). They just overpower the electronics with very high power microwaves which will cause them to fail in the same way as an EMP.

Personally, I wouldn't call them EMP devices, as they are specific in frequency and directional.

what's more important in this device, specific parameters of these microwave impulses (frequency, amplitude, rise/fall time, front width, etc) or high-power microwave energy itself?

Last edited:
Just high power energy is the most important. Basically you're flooding the remote circuit with so much EM radiation, that you induce currents in the chips which burns them out. Basically the same way an EMP works, but on a much simpler scale.

Voltages will try to find the most direct path to ground, which will likely be through any nearby electrical socket, if they or some streamers happen to hit some electrical devices on the way there's a good chance they'll be damaged, however the bulk of the energy will simply be wasted in the electrical system. It will also be prone to setting any fabrics nearby on fire and even modest tesla coils are more than capable of killing people.

You are talking seriously stupid stuff right now, if you actually care to be a responsible member of this forum you need to learn to be a responsible person first and forget childish projects like this unless you're under the supervision of someone that knows EXACTLY what they're doing, and people on a forum don't count, I'm talking someone that will take legal responsibility should something happen to damage property or people, because you don't seem to be in your right mind in concern to the proper respect high voltages and powerful EMF fields should be accorded for the saftey and legality of all those around you.

smanches, airplanes are made out of aluminum, they're natural faraday cages, you might disrupt communications but the chances of damage the electronics is 0. The amount of power and the directionality required do not exist currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back