Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply as current sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use power supply as a current sink.Is it possible? How?

Hi,

You should be a little more descriptive because there are many possibilities here.
For example, if you want to sink a positive current with a positive power supply where you cant change the ground then it probably wont work. You might be able to use it if you can switch the ground, or you might be able to use a negative power supply instead.
So you see it would be best if you could describe what exactly you are trying to do here.

Reminder that their are 4-quadrant power supplies out there. An Electronic Load is one. 4Q supplies will allow +V +I; -V -I; +V -I and -V +I modes of operations.

You also have CC/CV or constant current constant voltage with auto crossover.

You have CV with Current limit.

You have CV with foldback current Limit.

Depends on the topology of the power supply. Most will have a forward voltage component (NPN transistor) on the output that can deliver amps. Once reverse biased due to sinking, it only takes microamps to lift the supply causing damage to other components running off the same supply as the NPN pass transistor goes reversed bias and the PSU stops regulating.

Do you want the power supply to absorb power from the load? If so, then a normal power supply will not work. You need an active load type of circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back