Resource icon

Power Saving DC Solenoid Driver Provides Initial Full Power Actuation Followed By PWM Hold 2018-03-31

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutschow

Most Helpful Member
crutschow submitted a new article:

Power Saving Solenoid Driver Provides Initial Full Power Followed By 555 PWM Hold - Circuit applies full power to energize solenoid followed by low current PWM hold using 555 timer

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or broken link?

I have used an economizer circuit from TI to run contactors that were pulling 15 W but now pull about 3.5 W.

Last edited:
I've done both. The kick followed by a hold and slow-engaging.

The "kick" followed by a hold, although in that design I used a big heat sink. There was plenty of cooling around since this was a lamp housing for a fiber light. It was also a rotary solenoid which seem to always require the kick method.

The slow engaging again was a light shutter. When the solar simulator came back from being repaired and modded, the manual shutter became electric, butit was close to a $1000 1 mm thick glass filter. Activation would be for about 30s every 2:30 minutes or so. Turned out a Velleman PWM kit **broken link removed** fit the bill perfectly because of "slow-start" built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…