Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Amplifier for Electrostatic Transducers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeoshiki

Anyone has any experience with power amplifier design for electrostatic transducers?

I am using electrostatic transducers for transmitting ultrasound at between 40kHz to 80 kHz. However, these transducers requires high driving voltages around 100V peak and a bias voltage of 200V. I got a bias voltage from a DC-DC converter but am stuck with the power amplifier design. Basically it has to be high voltage and at the same time be able to match to the capacitive impedance of the transducer.

Use a low voltage power amp and send it through a transformer, you'd just have to ballance the secondary output, which you'll have to do anyways.

Would any step-up transformer work? I thought you need to do the proper impedance matching at the output.

Use a low voltage power amp and send it through a transformer, you'd just have to ballance the secondary output, which you'll have to do anyways.

So you create a matching network on the output...

I would be tempted to try a Pi network.

Do you know the impedance of the transducer? It's possibly expressed as a capacitance with a series resistance.

Well the problem is the data sheet says nothing about its impedance. Its a Senscomp 600 series electrostatic transducer.

I guess the impedance matching shouldn't be that critical. At most I get less transmitted power. I don't think it would distort the signal in anyway.

I would be tempted to try a Pi network.

Do you know the impedance of the transducer? It's possibly expressed as a capacitance with a series resistance.

Actually at most you hurt your amplifier.

You could start with the 1kHz capacitance given of 400-500 pF, and initially ignore any resistive component. This will produce a matching network that may not optimize performance but could improve it.

Is this going to be broadband 40-80kHz or is it just that you haven't yet selected a frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back