Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power adapter use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Have got one of these Power Adapters that came with an Akasa usb hdd caddy and it dual 12v /5v, both at 2A rating, seems well suited to my total load of 500ma needed in an arduino project.

However at that load the adapter does get comfortably warm to the touch after a hours use.

I intend to have it running 24/7 so wondered if these adapters are suited to that and though supplied to be used externally wondered about fitting it within an enclosure that has some ventilation holes ?

Also wondered if carefully drilling/cutting some holes in the adapters body would aid its cooling or simply cracking open the whole case if thats possible without destroying the contents ?

000331.jpg

It is obviously intended to be used with a free flow of air around it, so any enclosure would restrict air flow to a greater or lesser degree and raise the temperature of the adapter.
I don't see how you could safely make holes in the adapter. There would be a high risk of damaging internal components.

I suspect that drilling holes would make the power supply less fire safe. At the very least the sealed case will contain smoke and other gasses in the case of failure.

Modifying the supply in *any* way (electrical, mechanical, thermal, phase of the moon, etc.) will violate all of its safety ratings (the group of symbols in the bottom quarter of the label). As above, you almost certainly can buy an open frame (bare pc board) or industrial (perforated metal enclosure) supply of similar performance. Note that with the open frame supply, *you* are primarily responsible for the safety aspects of its use.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back