Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

POT trade for??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I've read that and I'm a member

If your a member there, why don't you want to do it the way they do? The way any forge with an electric blower I've ever seen does? Use a gate valve or even a ball valve on the air. And let the blower run full RPM.

My forge which I have put in storage, is a coal or sometimes charcoal forge with an old hand crank blower. When still working I drove through a steel mill area, on that made it's own coke, the coke was transported by rail over top the road. So I would stop and pick up coke that fell out of the gondolas when they took a load to the blast furnace.

Well I am a member of an electronics forum so ;). Why not apply it to forging as well. besides my fan has a very high CFM but the pressure is only strong in close range to the burn chamber so doing it this way is about my only option, adding more piping reduces the pressure quite a bit. Oh i meant that it heats/blows the flame inside a burn chamber, vented to outside, surrounded by another chamber that allows the heated air to be blown into the dwelling. I take that from my old propane fired central unit, im sure theyre all made about the same way. Also the reason i do it this way is for the noise. Covering or blocking a fan greatly increased the RPM and of course makes it much louder. That sound really takes away from the fun. I want to hear a roaring flame and a hammer pounding steel, not a fan going ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Feel the need to add that my oil forge is preferred since my fuel is free except the occasional gal or 2 of gasoline i need to thin the oil along that coal isnt practical in my neck of the woods. Charcoal is however, and free for me, but its not as controllable as my OF and of course requires more effort to obtain. Secondly the designs available with OFs, i can build a forge capable of easily and evenly heating long items same as propane forges but much cheaper.

Oh i meant that it heats/blows the flame inside a burn chamber, vented to outside, surrounded by another chamber that allows the heated air to be blown into the dwelling. I take that from my old propane fired central unit, im sure theyre all made about the same way.
Feel the need to add that my oil forge is preferred since my fuel is free except the occasional gal or 2 of gasoline i need to thin the oil

Like your welder project at AAC, your a walking safety hazard. You should buy a lottery ticket, doing the things you do, you're one of the luckiest people on the planet!

you literally made me LOL. youre top quote was referring to how beckett/propane heating units seem to operate. Nothing to do with me. Oil forges are quite safe if you take a bit of time to actually think about it. It uses a fuel that just doesnt want to burn easily. even with the gasoline added its about like charcoal fluid, very lazy flame. If it does anything weird like blow itself out it just stays out. It can flare up but id say not much more than propane and its very control-able. It just takes a bit of effort to control it specifically. Ive never had an accident except a flare up melted my fuel line and oil went everywhere. it went out. and i spilled oil. no fire. no sad story. just a mess. that i covered with lots of sand. Im pretty dumb with electronics but i have a VERY firm grasp of fire safety.

Last edited:
So, you want to trade for a pot? Am I right to assume you have no credit card to place a $5 order online?

Am I right to assume you have no credit card to place a $5 order online?

In my case, I do not have and never had.

Funny thing, gophert, that every time I asked why could I need one, the prevalent answer, even from account officers in the bank, was "to take advantage of the promotions showing up at any moment in so many places" ¿?

My ignorance on the subject was (is) so complete that when my secretary started to work with me so many years ago, she was using intensively, minimal payments; I believed she was a financial genius!! Go figure.

Sorry for the digression.

Funny thing, gophert, that every time I asked why could I need one, the prevalent answer, even from account officers in the bank, was "to take advantage of the promotions showing up at any moment in so many places" ¿?

My ignorance on the subject was (is) so complete that when my secretary started to work with me so many years ago, she was using intensively, minimal payments; I believed she was a financial genius!! Go figure.

Sorry for the digression.

Some of us are land-locked and need to order what we need online. I think an online order with a credit card is more convenient than your method of Loading your pockets with cash and catching a freighter to the Ban Mo market in Bangkok to track down parts.

Please excuse the continued thread drift.

I cannot imaging being without a credit card, they are a most useful tool.

However, you need two of them, sometimes they can fail spectacularly...

Returning home after working in Spain for two weeks, using the card to pay for every thing,
all of a sudden when trying to buy lunch at the airport in Amsterdam, the card would no longer work.
The bank "security department" decided that there was "suspicious activity" on the card and blocked it.
So I used my other card.

Trying to pay the bill at a hotel in Perth (Australia), the card would not work.
The banks computer system was down for maintenance (middle of the night back in the UK).
So I used my other card.

So, it is good to have two cards, from different banks.

JimB

Hehehaha. No no. Of course I have a bank card and yes ordering is easy but at the moment ordering what I need is roughly 30$ when a trade costs 7$ at most. Shipping likely faster, everyone is happy. Understand friends I make money but bills first. I don't like surprise's so I refrain for online orders unless it's a must and to ship via maIL is much cheaper and like 10 minutes of my time, even then it's on my way to/from work. Considering the crap response's I keep getting; it's not entirely about me. I figured I can help others get something to they can't normally afford while getting something I want as well. I live in the USA so there is likely a limit to savings if you live outside of the 48.

Some of us are land-locked and need to order what we need online. I think an online order with a credit card is more convenient than your method of Loading your pockets with cash and catching a freighter to the Ban Mo market in Bangkok to track down parts.
Google Sim Lim Towers. A paradise.

Considering the crap response's I keep getting; it's not entirely about me.

How do you figure that? You, from what I've seen on both forums, are trying to do things in ways that no adult person would do. Doing things your way is like looking at someones proposals for the Darwin Awards.

You, from what I've seen on both forums, are trying to do things in ways that no adult person would do. Doing things your way is like looking at someones proposals for the Darwin Awards.

Maybe. But no two people do the same thing the same way. I understand your disapproval of my way but thus far my way hasn't been dangerous. the crap response had nothing to do with attitude but about referrals to another site or a general why why why. I mean you can build an open deck with untreated lumber but only a fool calls another a fool when he doesn't see the bucket of sealant next to the stack of lumber....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back