Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

POT trade for??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in need of various ohm pots(3or2pin) and id rather not spend more on this hobby than i embarrassingly already have. I work for an electrical company so HV items I have in return. Quite a bit of other things as well. Just need to know what i have of value worth trading really.

They're available on ebay for ~50c with free postage. The postage to swap will probably be more.

Mike.

Also, whereabouts in the world are you? You have not set your location in your profile.

Ah crap. My bad. USA. MS. Well the pots I need aren't the standard one turn and done. They are the readjustable kind but not intended to always be adjusted. I found them out of old crt tvs.

Their size is in between these 2. I'll post a picture once I'm off work. I prefer their small size like a once adjust trim pot but they readjust multiple times like a volume control

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-05-13-49-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-05-13-49-45.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 279
Something like these?

Or these?

Fairly similar yes. More so the the bottom one youre showing except white and 2pins down and a long wiper pin out the back. I haven't seen any like them before except occasionally in old crt tvs(pre 90s). no serial# showed but ohms were printed at least

Last edited:
These are the ones I'm looking for if possible

Attachments

• 20200105_171351.jpg
    20200105_171351.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 20200105_171402.jpg
    20200105_171402.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 282
Those are just trimmers with a knob on them any trimmer would do.

I would get some of these there cheap and easy to find
61AJ4TA9eDL._SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
:confused: My friends. What im searching for isnt that simple. Sure those are great for once/twice adjustments but this needs to go through hundreds of cycles. At least 100+ a week and be easy and quickly adjustable.

:confused: My friends. What im searching for isnt that simple. Sure those are great for once/twice adjustments but this needs to go through hundreds of cycles. At least 100+ a week and be easy and quickly adjustable.
Then you need a potentiometer not a trimmer.

Mike.

Yes i did state that. I understand what i had shown is indeed intended to be a trimmer, however it works just fine as a POT. The only issue is the heat they are subjected to, not related to voltage or circuit type. These control a LM317 voltage controller for a fan used to provide air to my forge. SO HOT. The real issue is the low OHMs im using and it gets hot, the IC gets hot, the fan occasionally slows down. Everything gets hotter, the trimmer/pot gets hot......burn.......

By writing and posting here, you are WASTING something that is even more valuable than those things: your time.

Unless you exchange your stuff (yours or from the company you work with?) with someone living two or three blocks away, stop the blah blah and buy it.

Maybe you need to describe it better. I'll buy the pot and swap it for a 2kv 100uf capacitor. I'll even pay postage.

Mike.

Pommie The basic circuit calls for a 5k pot but I found that a 10k gives a wider control swing. And the extra heat isn't enough to engage the chips protection circuit like I'm experiencingright now. I found some to buy but 5$ for 5 of them is a bit much for something that will get IR and smoke damage in a week or so. I guess a better way to say it is cheap, easy use, throwaways. Also add that flat rate boxes at 7$ is way cheaper considering the nonweight limit. Am I wrong but that's a "microwave capacitor" correct?

I thought they were for producing a load of some gadget...

For a one-off device, why not use a high quality pot plus whatever other components it needs and build the whole thing in to an airtight sealed diecast box (which also works as a heatsink) so it just keeps working?
You can add a finned heatsink on the outside as well, if the box surface alone is not adequate.

If it's properly built it should last years if not decades & the extra cost will be compensated by lack of the requirement to keep fixing things & have it out of action.

I found these, 20 for 5$. If they can handle the heat they may be worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-06-09-49-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-06-09-49-01.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back